PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Shrimps eat moss?

Newcastle
11th Aug 2005, 08:02 PM
Is there any particular type of moss that Cherry Shrimp eat?

I notice that when I cut some christmas or some triangular looking moss from my other tank and place it in the shrimp tank. the cherry shrimp will all swamp all over the moss.

wonder if they chomp and eat the moss. but what is there to eat? the leaves or the algae on the moss?

Hydro
12th Aug 2005, 09:52 AM
Could they also be munching on micro-organisms in the moss? I have two bunches of java moss growing in the tank and my cherries also like to spend time in them.

NanoDave
12th Aug 2005, 11:58 AM
Mine does eat the soft edges of the mini leaves on the moss. However I noticed that it doesn't damage the moss as the moss continue to be green and growing.

If you see http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3437&postcount=11 you'll see that the strands with the leaves look a bit zagged and the leaves are distinctly separated. This is because the edges of the moss leaves have been eaten. I have some moss growing on the top part of the tank's internal sump where there is no shrimp and they are not like that.. the leaves are more densely together such that they look connected like pipe cleaners.. :)