PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Critters on Glass - not hydra

wolfiemo2
18th May 2009, 02:41 AM
Hi all-
I've really had a hard time finding information on this so hopefully you can help. I have patches of very small... well, see image attached. I'm at a loss for describing them - they are plant like, they do not move around. I reeally do not think they are hydra, which have a thicker base and more jellyfish like tops. These also have a thin base and fingered tops but the tops have much more "fingers" than hydras do - they look more like plants.
Anyone else have these or know what they are? The image below is what I found on another forum but they did not know what it was either.
Thanks.
UPDATE: I've added this illustration of what I am seeing. As you can see from my illustration they are more "plant-like" than "anemone-like." Hydra's have a thicker body and fewer "tentacles". Hydra's also would move about the tank - these things stay on the glass and move in the current like a plant. Unfortunately every description I type in either gives me hydras or different types of algae - this doesn't look like either. Hopefully someone will have experienced this same thing (if you've had this before then the photo attached would look familiar.)

infopimp
18th May 2009, 10:02 AM
I dont see anything in the photo - can you try again?

retardo
18th May 2009, 10:28 AM
I second that. I don't know what I'm looking for or what area of the glass to focus. I see white spots that resemble soap scum/water spots. Perhaps you can highlight the area?

MyShrimps
18th May 2009, 07:33 PM
Hi,
I can't see anything in your photo, too.
But if they are no Hydra, then maybe they are Vorticella.
Some Vorticella species build colonies that look a little bit like hydra.
Bye,
Peter

maxcaro
7th Dec 2009, 06:24 PM
in my tank I had some creatures like the ones in the picture......

I made some research and I discovered that exist a lot of different species of hydras (like planarias)....and most of them kill and eat baby of crs
I tried first to eliminate them with H2O2...some friends told that works for some hydra's species ( did not work in my tank>(>()

Then i used flubenol5%........It work's great no more hydras and anyone of my crs (mom and sons too) still live with absolutely no problem

Scorpio
8th Dec 2009, 05:12 AM
If they're slightly green then I have the same thing! I was under the impression that they're Green Hydra (a rarer smaller green form of hydra).

ShrimpGuy0
8th Dec 2009, 07:44 AM
i have those green little hydras in my tank but only very few are left due to a mass die off and i dont remember what i did but i managed to get rid of more than 98 percent of it somehow.