PDA

View Full Version : Baby Shrimps

NanoDave
8th Aug 2005, 03:04 AM
Do baby shrimps swim around or do they at the bottom like adults do? My filter skims water off from the top of the tank will the baby be safe? I found a grate with 1mm spacing, will babys squeeze through?

jojoecute
8th Aug 2005, 05:34 PM
It depend on water current also...
Shrimplets do swim around, May be try remove skimmer till it grow bigger.
I rather not take the risk..

Do baby shrimps swim around or do they at the bottom like adults do? My filter skims water off from the top of the tank will the baby be safe? I found a grate with 1mm spacing, will babys squeeze through?

retardo
8th Aug 2005, 05:36 PM
baby shrimp can easily fit into an opening 1mm in width. It is much better to use a sponge than an overflow.

NanoDave
8th Aug 2005, 08:14 PM
ok thanks! I'm will start looking for a really fine hole sponge asap. :)

Walter
10th Aug 2005, 08:06 PM
Yes I would recommend changing it too. Won't want to kill those cuties... :D

NanoDave
11th Aug 2005, 03:01 AM
I've found a very suitable material now. It is not a sponge but the netting used in those extra fine nets that some people use to hold daphnia for rinsing. Now the only problem is I don't like the colours available.. anyone ever seen them in black? :toff:

fatboy
13th Aug 2005, 07:20 AM
I've found a very suitable material now. It is not a sponge but the netting used in those extra fine nets that some people use to hold daphnia for rinsing. Now the only problem is I don't like the colours available.. anyone ever seen them in black? :toff:

I've never seen a black net. Bright green, blue and white are the only colours I've seen anywhere.

Have you considered using womens tights (pantyhose)? As long as they're nylon and colourfast they should be safe. You can get those in any colour. :)

I use one, a 'knee high stocking' in 15 denier, on my power filter to stop daphnia getting pulled in when I'm feeding. It stops daphnia and even much smaller cyclops from getting into the filter. Something like that might be worth looking at.

star88
13th Aug 2005, 02:13 PM
I've never seen a black net. Bright green, blue and white are the only colours I've seen anywhere.

Have you considered using womens tights (pantyhose)? As long as they're nylon and colourfast they should be safe. You can get those in any colour. :)

I use one, a 'knee high stocking' in 15 denier, on my power filter to stop daphnia getting pulled in when I'm feeding. It stops daphnia and even much smaller cyclops from getting into the filter. Something like that might be worth looking at.

Thanks for e input....pantyhose.......this would solve most of my problem. :cool:
It can be even used for my filter media because buying those fine netting here is not cheap. :)

NanoDave
13th Aug 2005, 07:24 PM
Yea good idea! :)

(Now I just need a little courage to go selecting panty hose.. :D )