PDA

View Full Version : Decaying Veggies



NanoDave
8th Aug 2005, 01:25 AM
Is it alright to feed shrimps decaying veggies? I found that my shrimps don't eat the veggies until unitl a few days later when they start decaying..

(I also feed Oceanfree's SuperPlecorys sinking waffles and Zin sinking pellets)

retardo
8th Aug 2005, 05:40 PM
Shrimp tend to eat the leftovers that fish don't eat or eat decaying plant matter. Most species of shrimp, I'm sure you've discovered, don't touch any of healthy plants. The same principle applies when it comes to veggies. If you want to hasten the eating of veggies, I'd suggest boiling them. I believe it has a lot to do with a shrimp's sense of "smell" that attracts them to their food.

NanoDave
8th Aug 2005, 08:15 PM
I see. Will it be unhealthy for them to eat decaying stuff though?

retardo
9th Aug 2005, 04:21 PM
Not as far as I know. Decaying matter is a natural part of their diet. Nothing to worry about.

NanoDave
9th Aug 2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks! :)

Walter
10th Aug 2005, 08:08 PM
Boiling is a good way to soften the vegetables which is also one of the reason they eat decaying ones. But do take note boiling will remove nutrients of vegetables. So feeding decaying ones seem to be slightly better, just make sure it doesn't pollute the water much. :)

NanoDave
11th Aug 2005, 03:06 AM
Nice. :) I have this pail that is put outside where it gets filled by rain often. That pail is used to water the plants but I'm sure there was never any fertilizer inside. Theres a layer of dark green algae on the sides, would it be save to scrape that out (in fact it comes out nicely in sheets) and feed them to the shrimps? :)

simcb
11th Aug 2005, 02:44 PM
Nice. :) I have this pail that is put outside where it gets filled by rain often. That pail is used to water the plants but I'm sure there was never any fertilizer inside. Theres a layer of dark green algae on the sides, would it be save to scrape that out (in fact it comes out nicely in sheets) and feed them to the shrimps? :)

Try not to feed them with these algae and they might not eat it. You wouldnt know if you might have dose pesticide using the pail. Either that or HDB might have "poison" the pail when they fog your area with insecticde. Its a risk i would dare not take if i were you, cause HDB often fog my area due to mosquitoes infestations. Be safe then be sorry :rolleyes: .