PDA

View Full Version : This is weird

NanoDave
7th Aug 2005, 05:04 AM
Now this is really weird, I bought some cherry shrimps about two weeks ago and put them in my nano tank. I didn't notice there were any pregnant ones but today I found two 6mm baby shrimps in my tank (they are so cute by the way)! :D

Being a newbie shrimp keeper I have a few questions, hope they weren't frequently asked ones because I did some searches and didn't find anything.. :p

I searched high and low at different times in my nano tank and I only found two babies. Does anyone know what could have possibly happened to other babies? I don't think the mother has only 2 eggs? If not, I think maybe the rest of the babies died? Is it normal to have such a low survival rate of only 2 survivors per batch?

I only noticed the baby shrimp when it is about 6mm. What size are they when they come out from eggs? How big are they when they come away from the mother?

Do the tiniest baby shrimps get attacked and eaten by adult shrimps?

Thanks in advance... if anyone can shed some light on the questions I will be very grateful.. :)

snoopy
7th Aug 2005, 05:22 PM
If i am not wrong a new hatch shrimp is only bout 3mm.

silane
7th Aug 2005, 07:36 PM
One possibility is that the female carried so few eggs that it did not get your attension. Or the fries came with the moss or sponge that came with the adults. Or.......

Female could drop eggs due to stress or poor water conditions, so the brood size varies in such conditions.

It is not known that adult attack baby shrimps.

Walter
7th Aug 2005, 11:43 PM
Ya, never seen any adult shrimps attacking shrimplets. Anyway how is your set up like? Another possibility is they are hiding, given their size they sure can hide well. :)

By the way I guess your shrimplets came with the packet but you didn't notice, because new borns are about 2-3mm.

Lotus
8th Aug 2005, 12:02 AM
If you have a filter the babies could have gotten into, you might want to check it. As they're so small when born, they can easily get inside filters, especially as there tends to be algae and other matter that can attract them.

NanoDave
8th Aug 2005, 12:05 AM
If i am not wrong a new hatch shrimp is only bout 3mm.

Thanks! You know, this really helps me a lot because I'm making something to block shrimps from getting sucked into the filter. Looks like I'm going to need really fine sponge.. :)

NanoDave
8th Aug 2005, 12:06 AM
One possibility is that the female carried so few eggs that it did not get your attension. Or the fries came with the moss or sponge that came with the adults. Or.......

Female could drop eggs due to stress or poor water conditions, so the brood size varies in such conditions.

It is not known that adult attack baby shrimps.

Thanks! (OMG I threw away the sponge that came in the bag :bigcry: )

NanoDave
8th Aug 2005, 12:09 AM
Ya, never seen any adult shrimps attacking shrimplets. Anyway how is your set up like? Another possibility is they are hiding, given their size they sure can hide well. :)

By the way I guess your shrimplets came with the packet but you didn't notice, because new borns are about 2-3mm.

The shrimps are in a nano tank with IOS filteration. I could see most of the places they could go (except under the driftwood) and everytime I searched I couldn't find more than two of them. And I search all the times its like they are playing hide and seek :D

NanoDave
8th Aug 2005, 12:12 AM
If you have a filter the babies could have gotten into, you might want to check it. As they're so small when born, they can easily get inside filters, especially as there tends to be algae and other matter that can attract them.

I could see inside the filter (internal overflow sump) and they're not in there too :embarasse Thanks anyway :)