PDA

View Full Version : possible to breed CRS in hard water?

corywink
21st Apr 2009, 06:44 AM
I picked up 3 pieces of A grade CRS about a month ago, and have them in my RCS tank. The water here is hard ph 7.6, KH 5, just wondering if it's possible that the CRS will breed in this water condition or will I have to soften it.

I think I have 1 female and 2 males, since the female has grown considerably, doubling the size of the other two and has a "fatter" tail like the RCS females.

corywink
5th May 2009, 06:13 AM
she's berried:D now have to wait for some shrimplets to appear. How long does it take them to hatch?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/vf1a/CRSberried.jpg

retardo
5th May 2009, 09:01 AM
In general, it takes about 3-4wks to hatch, depending on temperature.

silane
5th May 2009, 03:42 PM
I picked up 3 pieces of A grade CRS about a month ago, and have them in my RCS tank. The water here is hard ph 7.6, KH 5, just wondering if it's possible that the CRS will breed in this water condition or will I have to soften it.

I think I have 1 female and 2 males, since the female has grown considerably, doubling the size of the other two and has a "fatter" tail like the RCS females.

What's the GH? I think this is more important.

corywink
7th May 2009, 06:02 AM
oh I don't know, my GH test kit doesn't seem to work. But from the web this is what it says:

"Toronto's water hardness is usually between 120 to 125 parts per million"

Any toronto guys know our GH?

khemo
23rd Jul 2009, 02:57 PM
120 ppm = 6.72 dH ....your water is not too hard at all if this is correct

sharkflow
23rd Jul 2009, 08:31 PM
In general, it takes about 3-4weeks to hatch, depending on temperature.

Now here the temperature is high. I had a CRS with shrimplets hatching day 30, with temperatures 25~26 celsius in the tank :shocked: . I was waiting every day the birth of the babies. Too long, you think?

sharkflow
23rd Jul 2009, 08:39 PM
Can PH higher than 7 be harmful for babies? What do you think?

imke_j
23rd Jul 2009, 10:08 PM
Hi sharkflow,

don't worry that much! Breeding CR and seeing shrimplets grow is easier in pH under 7; but at least it is not impossible to have offspring in hard water. The damn with pH over 7 thing is the ammonia thing.

I'd recommend not changing water parameter too much now.

Imke