PDA

View Full Version : scuds (gammarus sp.)

sstimac
16th Apr 2009, 11:54 AM
I ran a search here and one other forum trying to find a thread that would help me eliminate my scuds. They have overrun my shrimp tank and they're driving me crazy; eating my java moss and rotalas. I want them gone. I cannot find info on building a scud trap anywhere. I know they exist. Anyone know how to build one?

Should I just pick up some celestial pearl danios to feed on them?

Removing the shrimp in the tank is a no go. I have CRS and RCS in the tank and I can't move them because I don't have an empty cycled tank in the house. They're really agitating my shrimp and they're destroying my plants. I'm pretty sure I have thousands of them. Help please.

Sounguru
16th Apr 2009, 12:22 PM
I have the small flea sized ones in my tanks and I just threw in some baby feeder guppies and they cleaned house. I may have lost one or two baby shrimp but it was worth it to elimanate the buggers. Now to move them back to the main tank and get some of my smaller feeder guppies to take out the ones in my other tank...

louuu
17th Apr 2009, 12:15 AM
yes... Sounguru is right... i too threw in three 1cm baby guppies and within days... the fleas were decimated...

sstimac
17th Apr 2009, 02:24 AM
This morning I bought 7 Celestial Pearl Danios (Galaxy Rasboras). Drip acclimated them for an hour and half and released them. They went to work within a few minutes. For hours now they've been hunting throughout the tank. Hopefully, they can take care of my problem.

Sounguru
17th Apr 2009, 07:22 AM
Good luck and let us know how it works for ya....