PDA

View Full Version : How do I plant Pelia??

Nisharific
26th Mar 2009, 10:10 PM
Hi everyone,
I am a novice at fish/shrimp keeping. I have a 60l tank where I keep my fish and just got interested in shrimp so I got a nano tank for them. I've just bought some pelia but I have no Idea how to plant them.. Use a plant net?? tie them to a rock....?? How do I get them to llok like the picture??
Please help.
Nish

quanou
26th Mar 2009, 10:49 PM
Hi, I tie them to a rock or driftwood, with fishing wire (not sure about the translation), or a piece of net containing garlic or onion (they are sold that way in France).

dxiong5
26th Mar 2009, 10:50 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Pelia is similar to moss, where there are no roots. You can tie it to rocks or use a net. I had some in my tank and I just left it on the bottom; when there was a current, it would sway around in it.

BTW, welcome to ShrimpNow!

dxiong5
26th Mar 2009, 10:52 PM
Actually, the seller told me the brown stuff on the bottom was a healthy root system that needed to get into the substrate. I'm confused myself.

elijahchui
27th Mar 2009, 01:22 AM
i tied them to some branches. will upload pics once i get back home.

Nisharific
27th Mar 2009, 01:41 AM
thanks for all you input guys. I ordered my pelia froma shop in malaysia. When it arrived most of them were in small pieces, I've left it just floating on the surface of my shrimp tank with cotton thread so as to keep all the pieces together. I'm hoping it will grow slightly. I get the impression that plant nets are useless as the pela leaves are big. Tying them to a stock or rock can be done but I am sceptical whether I would be able to get the desired effect as in the photo.
Eagerly looking forward to your responses.
P.s. thanks for the warm welcome to the forum

retardo
27th Mar 2009, 03:30 AM
Pellia will not attach to anything, not rocks nor driftwood. You can tie it down though. To get the effect you see in the picture, you simply need to set a clump of the stuff in a corner or area of the tank that receives little to no current. It will simply grow out that way. You'll want to be careful not to disturb it in any way though; it can get everywhere.

Frank
27th Mar 2009, 04:46 PM
Stainless steel mesh also works. The mesh must be large enough (around 1 cm).

Eyal_A
23rd Apr 2009, 06:11 PM
The picture above if I'm not mistaken is round pellia -> Subwassertang
I took small round stone (inert) put the Subwassertang on it warped it in net that was used in potatoes bag tied it loosely (to avoid the Pellia to get to torn )

kokon2208
23rd Apr 2009, 08:57 PM
The plant on the picture shown is definitely NOT Pelia (Monosolenium Tennerum). Moreover that is NOT a moss, but a fern - Lomariopsis lineata. Here is the one in my tank:
http://www.tropica.ru/forum/uploads/gallery/1238428776/gallery_4582_5_50241.jpg
You can either tie it to a stone or fix it some other way.

ChiefWalksInSlips
25th Jan 2012, 10:10 AM
Does Mini-Pellia work this way as well?

Herc
25th Jan 2012, 07:27 PM
Yes it does.
I superglued the Mini Pellia (Riccardia Chamedryfolia) to a small rock.
The pic is after ~7 weeks.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n625/robertr67/shrimp/RC.jpg

Trail_Mix
27th Jan 2012, 11:44 AM
You literally used superglue to stick the mini pellia on to a rock? Is that the best way to do it? I've been trying to work with this stuff myself and have been having a hard time.

Herc
27th Jan 2012, 05:27 PM
Yes, I glued it directly on the rock.
This is the easiest and fastest way by far to do it... no damage to the vulnerable structure of the moss, and no net which would be in sight for several months because of the slow growth of the mini pellia
I can't imagine having a hard time to do this. I glued 6 pieces of mini pellia onto 6 rocks, all succeeded in the first attempt, and it was done within 30 seconds in total. the glue I used was Pattex Super Gel.

acitydweller
24th Mar 2012, 10:23 AM
crazyglue works but mind the water current in the tank. it may tear and end up floating again.

pupa
4th Apr 2012, 05:33 PM
you can use mesh too...
like from shower-puff or hair net.