PDA

View Full Version : Shrimps for newbie?

spinex
24th Jul 2005, 03:13 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to shrimp keeping and would like to start off with some shrimps which are more hardy. Any recommendation and any LFS which has variety of shrimps to choose from ?

Thanks in advance.

silane
24th Jul 2005, 05:19 PM
A good choice for beginner is Cherry Shrimp, they are quite hardy, not that demanding in term if water quality and can do well with water temperature achievable by a fan.

Many shops sell Cherry shrimps and you may also want to buy/trade from hobbyists.

You may want to look for those are red and not pinkish.

jebus
24th Jul 2005, 09:09 PM
Malayan shrimps are quitre interesting to rear too.
With suitable water conditions they morph into other colours!

spinex
24th Jul 2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the advice. I just finished setting up my low maintainence tank last night (no CO2) but i did have fan to cool down the temperature and base fertiliser underneath the sand.

Got some java moss tied onto DW and on the foreground. Will add some low maintainence plants into my tank .. maybe Nana.. Glosso and Riccia seem nice.

chelseafc
24th Jul 2005, 11:12 PM
Glosso and Riccia are not low maintaninence plants, if u ask me.
Do you have light for the tank? You need good light for glosso and riccia to grow well.

As for shrimp, price of cherry varies from $0.50 to $1.00 each, depending on where you get it.
Malayan is cheaper, $0.20 each.

If your tank is not too big and you intend to get less than 10 shrimps, I think cherry shrimps are a better choice because I personally think they are nicer than malayan :)

spinex
24th Jul 2005, 11:53 PM
Glosso and Riccia are not low maintaninence plants, if u ask me.
Do u have light for the tank? You need good light for glosso and riccia to grow well.

As for shrimp, price of cherry varies from $0.50 to $1.00 each, depending on where u get it.
Malayan is cheaper, $0.20 each.

if your tank is not too big and u intend to get less than 10 shrimps, i think cherry is a better choice cos i personally think there are nicer than malayan :)

Yes i got light for my tank. The size of my tank is 40cm length x 25cm width x 23cm height and i use a side overhanging filter. I read that Glosso should be a easier plant to manage than Riccia.

With my tank size what is the max amount of shrimps i can have ? I do not wanna overcrowd the shrimps.

I also have intention to get some cardinal tetras .. maybe 5.

simcb
25th Jul 2005, 10:15 AM
Yes i got light for my tank. The size of my tank is 40cm length x 25cm width x 23cm height and i use a side overhanging filter. I read that Glosso should be a easier plant to manage than Riccia.

With my tank size what is the max amount of shrimps i can have ? I do not wanna overcrowd the shrimps.

I also have intention to get some cardinal tetras .. maybe 5.

Tetras tend to nibble at freshly moult shrimps and shrimplets when they feel like snacking.

If you are adding tetras and not intending to breed shrimps, you might want to get some 10-20 malayans....they are cheaper. If you want to try breeding shrimps you might want to just get 20 cherries.

spinex
25th Jul 2005, 02:38 PM
Yes i'm getting Cherry Shrimp for a start. As for the tetras .. i'll see how it goes before deciding.

Walter
1st Aug 2005, 09:46 AM
Since you're living in singapore as well, maybe you would want to drop by .. They do bring in yamatoes and cherries occasionally.. is a good place for shrimps.. With varieties like bees, tigers and greens as well :D

Newcastle
1st Aug 2005, 08:20 PM
Yes i'm getting Cherry Shrimp for a start. As for the tetras .. i'll see how it goes before deciding.

Bro..suggest you get some moss into your tank. It is always good for your shrimp to have some moss.
They can crunch on the moss and hang around there.
:)

Also if you want to breed shrimp. Please do not put tetra inside. They may munch on the baby shrimplets. :)
Maybe get some Boraras brigattae or Boraras maculatas. :)

spinex
2nd Aug 2005, 12:16 PM
Bro..suggest you get some moss into your tank. It is always good for your shrimp to have some moss.
They can crunch on the moss and hang around there.
:)

Also if you want to breed shrimp. Please do not put tetra inside. They may munch on the baby shrimplets. :)
Maybe get some Boraras brigattae or Boraras maculatas. :)

Yup i got Java, Taiwan and Xmas moss already.

I think all shrimplets is food to all fish. No ?

turbomkt
2nd Aug 2005, 01:11 PM
Yup i got Java, Taiwan and Xmas moss already.

I think all shrimplets is food to all fish. No ?

The nice thing about the boraras mentioned is they are "dwarf rasboras" and have quite small mouths. As such, they have a much harder time eating shrimp.

I've got boraras maculatas and Boraras urophthalmoides. Both are quite small. Flake seems to be too large for them (at least mine refused to eat it) so they get micro pellets (.35mm diameter).