PDA

View Full Version : Breeding ramshorn snails

kross
21st Jul 2005, 10:53 PM
I bought 4 pcs of apple snails(is it called ramshorn snail?) 2 months ago. The adults are all dead now but they gave me 80+ baby apples!! lol

Anyone shares the same experience??

Robert
22nd Jul 2005, 12:04 AM
Hi kross,
did your snails lay eggs above the water line? The embryos of appple snails need air and would not survive in water, so they lay their eggs on places above the water line where the humidity is high.
Ramshorn snails are not the same than apple snails. Ramshorn snails are smaller, more flat and they are truely aquatic snails. Their scientific name is Planorbis corneus and they are native to parts of Europe for example. They are pretty easy to breed and there are even different color morphs here in Europe e.g. wild colored (brown), red, blue and albino red.

These are for example blue ramshorn snails of Ramona Osche /Germany (copyright by her):

http://www.guppy-art.de/schnecke0006.jpg

And this is a golden apple snail:

http://www.people.freenet.de/r.gall/pomacea_brid_walking.jpg

Which snails do you have?

best regards

Robert

kross
22nd Jul 2005, 10:06 AM
Hi kross,
did your snails lay eggs above the water line? The embryos need air and would not survive in water, so they lay their eggs on places above the water line where the humidity is high.
Ramshorn snails are not the same than apple snails. Ramshorn snails are smaller, more flat and are truely aquatic snails. Their scientific name is Planorbis corneus and they are native to parts of Europe for example. They are pretty easy to breed and there are even different color morphs here in Europe e.g. wild colored (brown), red, blue and albino red.

These are for example blue ramshorn snails of Ramona Osche /Germany (copyright by her):

http://www.guppy-art.de/schnecke0006.jpg

And this is a golden apple snail:

http://www.people.freenet.de/r.gall/pomacea_brid_walking.jpg

Which snails do you have?

best regards

Robert

HI Robert,

Thanks for the photos. I guess they are ramshorn not apple! lol
Their color is similar to the apple snail you posted only more glossy. :D

kross
22nd Jul 2005, 11:54 PM
Eh....is this called Ramshorn?? :huh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/Kkross/c266dada.jpg

Robert
23rd Jul 2005, 01:12 AM
Hi kross,
yes that's a ramshorn snail. It looks really nice but I don't know exactly if it is the red color morph or the albino. I would say it is the albino because of the rather colourless shell (so the peristracum (= organic, protein, dyes etc. containing layer) on the shell is colorless). The foot appears yellow, orange or red depending on the amount of hemoglobin (red oxygen-transport dye) which isn't bound to cells but freely solved in their open blood system.

Best regards

Robert

Lotus
23rd Jul 2005, 10:53 AM
That looks more like an albino than the red ones I have. The red ones have a much more colorful flesh part, IME.

Walter
23rd Jul 2005, 08:04 PM
Wow beautiful snail there :D So are apple snails as easy to breed as well?

kross
2nd Aug 2005, 10:49 PM
Wow beautiful snail there :D So are apple snails as easy to breed as well?

I don't think apple snail will be as easy as ramshorn. :)

Robert
3rd Aug 2005, 01:29 AM
Hi,
apple snails are not hard to breed. But you have to provide them the right conditions. So the main factor is enough food, many apple snails are starved to death. They really need a lot of food and they won't be happy with just some rests. Feed them well with cucumber or other soft plants (the love Echindorus if there is no other suitable food), flakes etc. .

Then you should keep at least 2, better more. Apple snails lay their eggs above the watersurface in humid air. It should not be too wet but also not too dry. A normal hood for your tank should be enough (if you have only a light set which stands on the rim, use another way to cover at least 80% of the tank to keep the humidity).

If they lay their eggs and the humidity is right, you will get lots of baby snails soon. The time varies, so I can't tell you for sure how much it takes. Normally about hundred or so will hatch. These bably snails need lots of food and not all of them grow with the same speed. It would be good to select the ones which grow faster. There will be enough snails for sure, so don't worry. With enough food they should reach a size of about 1cm in 3 months, maybe more. This would be the right time to find a new home for them.

regards

Robert

rain-
3rd Aug 2005, 05:43 AM
I breed apple snails (the ones which don't eat live plants, species Pomacea bridgesii) and they really are rather easy to breed and grow. You just need a male and a female (or a female that has already mated with a male, the females can store sperm for months). And to raise the babies you need hard enough water and pH above 7, enough water changes (they don't like high ammonia/nitrites/nitrates) and enough food and you can raise them to 2,5 centimetres in about 3 months (the biggest ones of my latest batch grew to about that size in a bit under 7 weeks and I think that's a record no-one else has beaten).

Here's some of my babies:
http://sademetsa.net/babypile.jpg

(Oh, and sorry about being quiet for so long. I have been on vacation. But I will soon answer the PM:s I have gotten.)

kross
3rd Aug 2005, 05:21 PM
I breed apple snails (the ones which don't eat live plants, species Pomacea bridgesii) and they really are rather easy to breed and grow. You just need a male and a female (or a female that has already mated with a male, the females can store sperm for months). And to raise the babies you need hard enough water and pH above 7, enough water changes (they don't like high ammonia/nitrites/nitrates) and enough food and you can raise them to 2,5 centimetres in about 3 months (the biggest ones of my latest batch grew to about that size in a bit under 7 weeks and I think that's a record no-one else has beaten).

Here's some of my babies:
http://sademetsa.net/babypile.jpg

(Oh, and sorry about being quiet for so long. I have been on vacation. But I will soon answer the PM:s I have gotten.)

Wow!!! Awesome colors!!! :D

Walter
4th Aug 2005, 07:56 PM
Yeah! Beautiful snails with jewel-like colours! :D

gnatster
4th Aug 2005, 08:30 PM
Are all those color variations out of one clutch of eggs?

Can they be bred for color? Say I have 2 purple, male and female of course, what would the brood be like?

Thanks

rain-
4th Aug 2005, 10:59 PM

They are from several clutches, but one clutch can have multiple fathers and thereby have really different coloured offspring. You can find the best information of apple snail colour genetics from here... Blah, uhm, how many messages does it take to be able to add URLs to the message? There's even a color inheritance program available, made by Donya Quick, the best apple snail researcher I know.

gnatster
4th Aug 2005, 11:40 PM
Thanks rain-

The site you mean is www.applesnail.net I gather, I was just there and saw the chart you mention.

rain-
5th Aug 2005, 01:02 AM
I'm not sure if there's shorter way, but at least in: Discussions -> Apple Snail Species -> First two Announcements. There's lots of other interesting and valuable information. The best apple snail information site in the internet (well, Donya's site is the best apple snail genetics information site, but applesnail.net has everything else covered) :)

samurai
13th Sep 2005, 11:50 AM
Hi kross,
yes that's a ramshorn snail. It looks really nice but I don't know exactly if it is the red color morph or the albino. I would say it is the albino because of the rather colourless shell (so the peristracum (= organic, protein, dyes etc. containing layer) on the shell is colorless). The foot appears yellow, orange or red depending on the amount of hemoglobin (red oxygen-transport dye) which isn't bound to cells but freely solved in their open blood system.

Best regards

Robert

I actually have many of the same red ramhorn as Kross'. The color of the shell is mostly red when you feed them well with high protein. So, I don't think they are albino :huh: Is this red ramhorn is also Ramona osche?

Robert
14th Sep 2005, 03:34 PM
Hi :D ,
no the species name of this ramshorn snails is not Ramona Osche. Ramona is a friend of mine, so she is just a person who breeds this snails. A normal woman, definetely no snail species. The picture of the blue ramshorn snails was taken by her, that's all.

regards

Robert

Shrimpdude
17th Sep 2005, 06:51 AM
lol i would be carful with plandorib ramshorns. They can over run your tank if not watched! The ramshorns you would want to keep are the columbian ramshorn or marisa's! Go to applesnail.net and look for Marisa! The easiest way to tell if you have aMarisa is see if it has a trap door!

samurai
10th Oct 2005, 01:10 PM
Hi :D ,
no the species name of this ramshorn snails is not Ramona Osche. Ramona is a friend of mine, so she is just a person who breeds this snails. A normal woman, definetely no snail species. The picture of the blue ramshorn snails was taken by her, that's all.

regards

Robert

I am so sorry for my stupid mistake in searching for the name of this red ramhorn snail. My sincere alologize to Ramona. Please let me know the correct name for this snail. Thanks.

jon
10th Oct 2005, 05:32 PM
:rolleyes: wao! i didn't know snail can be so colourful,
any bro know when we can get those snails in singapore?
regards lol

zwergkrebs
11th Oct 2005, 05:58 AM
Want see a better picture of blue ramshorn snails? lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/zwergkrebszuechter/blauePHS.jpg

jon
11th Oct 2005, 09:33 AM
waooo! they are beautiful... :rolleyes:
how i wish to have some..... :)
thanks for sharing

NanoDave
11th Oct 2005, 12:17 PM
Yes very beautiful!! I think the blue will look very nice beside the greenery in a planted tank.. really wish can get my hands on them!! :)

jon
11th Oct 2005, 01:14 PM
anyone know,are these snail available in singapore?
:)
pls advise
:D regards

NanoDave
11th Oct 2005, 04:54 PM
anyone know,are these snail available in singapore?
:)
pls advise
:D regards

I have never seen them in singapore ever.. and I do go to quite many LFS and farms... :undecided

zwergkrebs
11th Oct 2005, 05:53 PM
As far as I know they are a German species. Have them in my tanks ever since I started with aquariums. I only recently took some efforts to seperate them by color and start pure color strains. There are some more colormorphs like red, golden, white. Will take some pictures soon. Of course most are just plain brown.

Have something nice to trade for? I could think of giving away some of them, as they breed quite well.

NanoDave
11th Oct 2005, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure how to send you fish, do I send it like normal parcel? :)

jon
19th Oct 2005, 05:11 PM
anyway or anyone have updates on the snails ? lol
regards

Candice
28th Oct 2005, 11:33 PM
Rain, I love the picture of your snails! Too pretty.

zwergkrebs
29th Oct 2005, 03:54 AM
News? Yes. I found time to take a photo of the other colors.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/zwergkrebszuechter/posthornschnecks.jpg

kross
4th Nov 2005, 10:10 PM
Gosh! They looked like jewels! :D

Jane of Upton
13th Dec 2005, 11:09 PM
Wow, Rain - Beautiful Apple Snails!

Those Pinks (light Purple?) are just gorgeous, and I've never seen such nice Jade colored ones. You must provide excellent conditions for them.

Very lovely.Thanks for posting the picture.

In the U.S., I've gotten very nice Apple Snails through mail order from a woman who runs a business called Snips N Snails Mystery Snails - Apple Snails are also sometimes called Mystery Snails. I've gotten the Purple, Light Purple, Ivory, and Peppermint (light pinkish). They do change color a little as they grow, but I'm not sure if that might be a function of the type and variety of food they're getting.

Yes, they ARE heavy feeders! Its also good to feed something with some calcium in their diet - either pelleted food made for invertebrates, or leafy vegetables (kale, spinach) that have good calcium amounts.

Apparently, their digestive system keeps several resident populations of infusoria, much like cows have colonies of bacteria in their stomachs that help them digest vegetable matter. So, as the snails poop, they seed your tank with infusoria. I know several people who breed egg-laying fish, and keep snails (Apple/Mystery mostly, but other types as well) JUST for their infusoria-spreading abilities, as it provides some food to the newly hatched fry. I have some in a community tank, and with heavy plant growth and lots of floating plants, I was pleasantly surprised when two fry from my Sparkling Gouramis survived (presumably on the infusoria and other small crustaceans (copepods, etc) in the rather "wild" tank. They're now approaching adulthood! I credit the snails presence, because they had spawned before, but now, with the well-fed snails in there, some survived.

I agree that the ramshorn snails can easily overrun a tank - they breed very quickly.

-Jane

Liang Heng
8th Mar 2006, 12:40 AM
the pink and purple ramhorn snail are really beautiful! :shocked:

how i wish i have 1 pink and 1 purple of it in my tank :rolleyes:

Liang Heng
8th Mar 2006, 12:45 AM
and 1 of those blue ramhorn

if i find them in singapore i will get each color 4 pieces :D

YuccaPatrol
27th Mar 2006, 09:55 PM
I have some with pink/orange/red bodies but they all have amber colored shells.

I would LOVE to have some of those other colors!

Would anyone be willing to share a few of them?

zwergkrebs
27th Mar 2006, 10:54 PM
Not yet. :)

YuccaPatrol
27th Mar 2006, 10:57 PM
Not yet. :)

I can be patient :)

silane
27th Mar 2006, 11:47 PM
News? Yes. I found time to take a photo of the other colors.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/zwergkrebszuechter/posthornschnecks.jpg

What PH do you keep them? Mine's shell are corroded at 6.X.

YuccaPatrol
28th Mar 2006, 01:25 AM
The shells dissolve in acidic water. Must keep them above 7.0, preferably higher.

Mine do alright at 7.2

Shrimpdude
5th Apr 2006, 06:55 AM
yes, dont worry, you will get alot of babies! lol

j0onahra3
10th Mar 2011, 10:11 AM
Wow this is an OLD post.
One thing, i think people should realize that getting ramshorn snails shipped from germany takes a LONG time if you dont want to pay a lot for shipping.
a 3 week long shipping costs about $20 and a 2-3 day long expedited shipping costs about $80. : /
So I'm not sure if anybody wants to pay that much for some snail.
but I do agree that ramshorn snails from germany look a whole lot better than the ones here in the US.