PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Shrimp pregnant

kross
18th Jul 2005, 11:52 PM
Hi all, I would like to check if anyone of you has bred this species before. If yes, will does it need brackish water or freshwater will do? :huh:
I got 2 pregnant pearl shrimps right now and they are carrying the eggs for over a month now. A wee bit long I would say. :undecided

Got a pic of the male shrimp. Will try to snap the females if they come out. They always hide. :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/Kkross/pearl.jpg

GunmetalBlue
19th Jul 2005, 01:00 PM
Hi Kross, you're in luck! If we're talking about Macrobrachium cf. mirabile - "Pearl shrimp," they do not have a larval stage; they hatch as miniature version of the adults, so no extra steps needed.

Congrats on your pregnant Pearl, hope she's successful in caring for them until they hatch, which should be in the next week or two at most (takes 4 - 6 weeks, depending on temperature). :)

-GB

kross
19th Jul 2005, 04:48 PM
Hi Kross, you're in luck! If we're talking about Macrobrachium cf. mirabile - "Pearl shrimp," they do not have a larval stage; they hatch as miniature version of the adults, so no extra steps needed.

Congrats on your pregnant Pearl, hope she's successful in caring for them until they hatch, which should be in the next week or two at most (takes 4 - 6 weeks, depending on temperature). :)

-GB

Thanks for the tip. I can't wait to see the shrimplets! :D

jojoecute
20th Jul 2005, 10:12 AM
Hi, past 2 months my pearl shrimp also give birth to shrimplets.
No much quanyity, only manage to find not more then 5 piece.
Till now i could not find any, and now i am having the same pearl female pregnant.

Good luck to you & me.

GunmetalBlue
21st Jul 2005, 01:08 PM
Hey Kross and Jojoecute, I've heard that Pearl shrimp are the very few Macrobrachium species that are peaceful. So is that true?

My Macrobrachium species (M. lanchesteri) are predatory and will kill and eat small fish and even kill each other, so my one remaining one lives alone.

Good Luck, both of you on your pregnant Pearl shrimps. Keep us updated on any hatchings. :)

-GB

kross
21st Jul 2005, 04:46 PM
Hi GB,

I got 5 pearl shrimps living peacefully with my boraras brigittaes, crs, malayan, oto and apple snails in a 1ft cube tank. :D

Base on my observation, pearl shrimp doesn't attack the others at all even when they are rite beside it. Their pincers tends to avoid other shrimps when they searching for food on or beneath the gravel. It is only aggressive when there is live food and they'll fight for for it but no harm done. :)

Walter
21st Jul 2005, 09:21 PM
Wa nice! Sharp pic and seldom people successfully bred this I guess. :D

kross
22nd Jul 2005, 11:52 PM
Here's the mama shrimp.... :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/Kkross/986d6913.jpg

Side pose.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/Kkross/876814ef.jpg

Can see the eggs? I can't! :p
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/Kkross/7a99f813.jpg

Robert
23rd Jul 2005, 01:18 AM
Wow, your shrimps as well as pictures look really great, kross! I keep the same species for a while now but found no pregnant females yet. Ok, I don't feed them but they get some flakes, frozen food etc. while feeding the fishes in my show tank.

Your shrimps show lots of black spots which looks really nice. Do you use a dark colored gravel? My shrimps adapted very well to my grey granite gravel and hide perfectly. I have to look at leat twice before I can find all of them. They hide that well because they got exactly the same color than the gravel.

best regards

Robert

Lotus
23rd Jul 2005, 10:51 AM
Mine went almost the same color as my terra cotta gravel! Interesting shrimp, indeed. Great pics, too. Don't forget to keep us updated about the babies. :)

kross
23rd Jul 2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the kind comments guys. :)

I'm using dennerle black quartz gravel. The shrimps were initially having more white spots than black when I bought them. I guess they are really good in camourflage! In a matter of days, they shifted from white spots majority to black majority! :D Very interesting shrimp indeed. :happy:

kross
1st Aug 2005, 11:41 PM
Update:

None of the shrimplet found!! :bigcry:

Walter
2nd Aug 2005, 07:23 PM
What happened? Sucked into filter? Or didn't survive?

kross
2nd Aug 2005, 10:46 PM
Not sure. I was on business trip and when i got back, the mama's (x2) sag were empty. I check around the tank and not even 1 shrimplet. :cry:
My filter inlet is covered with sponge. Maybe it's the 2 rasboras brigittaes that ate the shrimplets???? :huh:

Anyway, one of the mama shrimp is carrying eggs again. Wow, that's fast!! :D

ganesha
28th Aug 2005, 09:39 PM
Realy strange, i'm having the same experience as you :( I have 4 female and one male. At one point all the females where carrying eggs but not ones have i seen a shrimplet. I don't keep any other animals together with my shrimps, there are plenty of hiding places in the tank, also for the shrimplets (javamos)but nothing happens :undecided

NanoDave
28th Aug 2005, 10:31 PM
I think you can try keeping substrate half black half white.. then when the shrimp and shrimplets cross from one half to the other half they will stand out distinctly.. just a crazy idea.. lol