PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Charcoal

amber2461
15th Jul 2005, 12:31 PM
Hi

I recently bought some bamboo charcoal from Daiso here in Vancouver. I read at that it has been used safely in shrimp tanks.

I was wondering if anyone here has such experience(s) with the abovementioned.

Cheers :cool:

silane
15th Jul 2005, 03:09 PM
Hi Marge,

I have been using Bamboo Charcoal stack for a while without problem, and they like to hang around the bamboo charcoal stack.

Remember to use hot boiling water to soak before you put them into the tank, or else it will take weeks to sink.

amber2461
17th Jul 2005, 03:24 AM
Now, that I didn't take into consideration. Will it alter the parameters of the water in the tank then?

Cheers

amber2461
17th Jul 2005, 04:32 PM
I did as you suggested, the bamboo charcoal is still floating despite being dunked and left in boiling water ... :D :D :D

silane
18th Jul 2005, 12:26 PM
Marge,

I realised that have to use lighter density bamboo charcoal, this type can sink with hot water treatment.

Those heavy and harder type will take a long time or never sink, you will have to tie them with rock or bebbles to make them stay at the bottom.

amber2461
19th Jul 2005, 02:13 PM
Guess what, it sank .... not too long after I posted here ! ~sheesh~ ... the shrimps think that it is a hoot! They play hide and seek in it all the time, it gives the females some reprieve from the males.

I am thinking of putting some plants on it but cannot decide, any suggestions here?

Cheers

Walter
21st Jul 2005, 10:29 PM
I've never tried this before but attaching mosses on it should be nice? :)

whoosh
8th Aug 2005, 11:34 AM
eh, do you have to change the bamboo charcoal on a regular basis?
Just ignorant. :D

Walter
10th Aug 2005, 09:14 PM
I think there isn't a need. Its a bit like driftwood actually. :D

But I don't know how similiar they are to activated carbon. I heard activated carbon will release ammonia once they absorb it to their limit.