PDA

View Full Version : Ways to reduce PH

wifi
7th Jul 2005, 08:30 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have registered as a member since 4 months back and has been reading the posts. I think I am ready for a shrimp tank, thank to the tons of information this forum provides.

I have setup a 1.5 ft tank using lapis, a small center piece of driftwood with moss and a hang on side filter. I will add a fan before introducing shrimps. It has been 20 days into cycling and the PH has stablise at 7.4. Is there any good way to lower PH? I want to keep it at from 6.5 to 6.8 and I want to keep cherry shrimps. I heard that shrimps look better in acidic water, is it true?

Thank

jojoecute
7th Jul 2005, 11:12 PM
If ypu only keeping Cherry shrimps - PH 7.4 is ok...
Some way to lower PH - add some ADA soil can help lower PH, peat moss also can lower ph.

My way is Co2...

Hi Everyone,

I have registered as a member since 4 months back and has been reading the posts. I think I am ready for a shrimp tank, thank to the tons of information this forum provides.

I have setup a 1.5 ft tank using lapis, a small center piece of driftwood with moss and a hang on side filter. I will add a fan before introducing shrimps. It has been 20 days into cycling and the PH has stablise at 7.4. Is there any good way to lower PH? I want to keep it at from 6.5 to 6.8 and I want to keep cherry shrimps. I heard that shrimps look better in acidic water, is it true?

Thank

shalu
8th Jul 2005, 03:25 AM
My cherries and crystal reds breed fine in ph higher than that. I would not mess with ph at that level.

Walter
8th Jul 2005, 08:01 PM
PH 7.4 seems ok with me as long as it stops increasing.. :) Anyway did you check water parameters? It could be that ammonia is still present in the water and that meant that you need more cycling..

Anyway driftwood does help to reduce PH a little... And last of all, happy shrimp keeping! :D

wifi
13th Jul 2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Walter, I have checked total ammonia, the test kits indicate 0.

Anyone has any thoughts on low (say 6.2) or high (say 7.4) PH is better for breeding. And low or high PH is better for shrimps growth?

Thank You

kross
21st Jul 2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Walter, I have checked total ammonia, the test kits indicate 0.

Anyone has any thoughts on low (say 6.2) or high (say 7.4) PH is better for breeding. And low or high PH is better for shrimps growth?

Thank You

I guess a ph of 6 to 7.5 is alright. I've managed to breed crs/cherries at ph of 5.5 to 6.5. My friends have bred them at 7.5. Therefore I guess it's not so critical. Just watch out for ammonia...

However, I do have one observation which I'm not too sure if it's just me or others do notice. My shrimps (cherries/crs/malayan/mq) tends to be less active in a low ph tank. e.g. 5.5 :p Those at ph 6.5 seems very active. :undecided

shalu
22nd Jul 2005, 01:46 AM
However, I do have one observation which I'm not too sure if it's just me or others do notice. My shrimps (cherries/crs/malayan/mq) tends to be less active in a low ph tank. e.g. 5.5 :p Those at ph 6.5 seems very active. :undecided
Noticed the same thing. Cherries died at ph 4.8. At 5.5, they are doing ok so far, but definately less active than in my high ph tank(>7.5).

jojoecute
22nd Jul 2005, 08:58 AM
Hi,
Such low PH is very harmful to shrimp, as low PH will cos moulting shell more.
When shrimp moult shell, thier body is weak and not well protected.

Try keep PH mantain between 6.5 - 7.00

I guess a ph of 6 to 7.5 is alright. I've managed to breed crs/cherries at ph of 5.5 to 6.5. My friends have bred them at 7.5. Therefore I guess it's not so critical. Just watch out for ammonia...

silane
22nd Jul 2005, 01:11 PM
From my experience, for breeding, it is better to keep at 7.0 to 7.2 and for growing up, keep around 6.5 to 6.7. Lower PH encourages better growth rate.

jojoecute
22nd Jul 2005, 05:28 PM
Sifu....
You are correct....

From my experience, for breeding, it is better to keep at 7.0 to 7.2 and for growing up, keep around 6.5 to 6.7. Lower PH encourages better growth rate.