PDA

View Full Version : help needed

6th Jul 2005, 09:54 PM
i have a 2 ft tank with plants every thing and a canister filter but i dont know why i can see shrimp frys but no so called babys as in miniatures adults

viper
6th Jul 2005, 10:27 PM
shrimp frys = babies

no?

Veneer
7th Jul 2005, 05:59 AM
i have a 2 ft tank with plants every thing and a canister filter but i dont know why i can see shrimp frys but no so called babys as in miniatures adults

If you have Amano, filter, ghost, or long-arm shrimp, chances are that's probably because the planktonic young cannot survive in full freshwater; rather, they require water of brackish salinity in order to develop into benthic post-larvae ("miniature adults").

7th Jul 2005, 09:25 PM
no i got cherry red shrimp, malayan shrimp, tiger shrimp,bee shrimp . i can see the frys but i dont understand why i cant seems to see the frys like when they are in a growing stages like miniature adults

simcb
8th Jul 2005, 09:28 AM
I don't understand what you mean by this.

no i got cherry red shrimp, malayan shrimp, tiger shrimp,bee shrimp . i can see the frys but i dont understand why i cant seems to see the frys like when they are in a growing stages like miniature adults

Higher order(In your case: Cherry, tiger, Bee) young Shrimplets don't look 100% like their parent but similar to a super small size shrimp(transparent with no color unless you have CRS) when they are just a few days old. It takes a few weeks for them to grow big enough to see what they belong to...since your tank has so many different shrimps. I have a hunch they are probably cherry or tiger.

Just like Veneer mentioned. Lower order shrimps(In your case: malayan) give birth to the planktonic young which looks like miniature mosquito larvaes develop into benthic post-larvae ("miniature adults") like the higher order shrimplets. But the survival rate of lower order form is greatly reduced in fresh water and without sufficient green water to feed in order to metamorph, they probably die out in a day or two after birth.

So are your "frys" floating(lower order:malayans) around or clinging on plants and gravel(higher order: cherry/tiger/bee):huh:?

Walter
8th Jul 2005, 07:59 PM
I think those fries you seen are from the malayan.. Cherries should give birth to small tiny adult looking shrimplets. :) Do note those fries or larvae usually cannot survive in freshwater and will die off... :( Cause they need saltwater