PDA

View Full Version : Green web



I shrimp
5th Dec 2008, 11:23 AM
Hi all shrimpers:santa3:,

Have anyone here see web that grow on their moss before? Its green, and look like web to me. It can grow fast. Whenever i clear it away from my moss, it will grow again within a week. What are these? And what is the causes for it to grow only on moss?:huh: Do share.. :p

Robert
5th Dec 2008, 09:22 PM
Hi,
it looks like normal green algae to me. It might be a kind of Staghorn Algae. They are common among moss fonds and they are caused by too many nutrients in the water column. Shrimps might be helpful to prevent them but they won't eat all of the larger algae strings. Take some fine pincers to get rid of them and try to dose the fertilizer more careful. A healthier plant growth is the best way to get rid of them.

regards
Robert

retardo
5th Dec 2008, 10:52 PM
I agree with Robert's assessment. Another alternative is to take a clean, sterilized mascara brush (or similar) and twist it around. The algae will get caught in the bristles. Then simply remove the algae from the brush and repeat as necessary. :)

I shrimp
5th Dec 2008, 11:32 PM
Hi Guys,
Robert you mention about green algae and too many nutrients in the water column. But I have always been doing the same stuff like before, nothing new or old. Its only that I will trim my moss once in awhile, when they over grow. And you also mention that, shrimps might be helpful. As in they feed on it? I believe its not harmful to my shrimps then. At least it's something I need not worry now. Just feel that they look dirty. Ha ha. . . By the way, will this thing actually grow all over my moss if I dont clear it? Retardo I had try using sterilized mascara brush, but its a bit wasteful. Cause it will not work well inside water. The straw its a bit too short to work on. For it will flow away once the sterilized mascara brush are fill with it. And its will mess up the moss easily. Maybe I dont have the skill to do it. Robert, I dont use fertilizer much. maybe twice a year and not more then that. Everytime its only 3 cup of it. Its actually less then the actual amount I need to add into the tank. Just dont wish to over dose it. I learn something new again. Thanks guys.

retardo
6th Dec 2008, 06:22 AM
What other plants do you have in the tank? If it's just mosses, as Robert pointed out, there may be excess nutrients in the water and it will enable the growth of algae. You should be doing periodic WCs to make sure that there is no build up of nutrients that algae thrive on or use fast growing stem plants to outcompete the algae.

go9ma123
6th Dec 2008, 11:12 AM
That look like green algae to me as well.
I had same thing happen my old tank...
It started grow when I changed my light blub to brighter one...
I took out every week and soon or later, I got tired of removing them.
So, I went to pet store and got this tetra algae liquid.
I used it every 2-3 days about 2-3 weeks and they were gone.

sub-80
25th Dec 2012, 03:31 AM
it looks like green hair algae. if it is, your in a path of a lot of hurt.