PDA

View Full Version : Cherry eats Hornwort?

Fir337
8th Nov 2008, 08:41 PM
I just set up a new tank and put in a pair of Cherries as testers i put in some pants including some Hornwort, when i woke up in the morning i saw that all the Hornwort was all torn and mashed could the Cherries had torn them up as they were the only animals in the tank.

MyShrimps
9th Nov 2008, 12:51 AM
Hello,

Hornwort sometimes reacts very sensitively to changes in water or light.
In a new aquarium it often loses almost all leaves.
That happened to me, too, when I first introduced hornwort to one of my tanks. I almost threw away all the ugly bare branches but after some time it began to grow again. And now it's one of the fastest growing plants in all my tanks.

Maybe your hornwort is also losing the leaves and your shrimps only eat those dead leaves of the hornwort.
I think you simply should wait until the hornwort will have accustomed to its new environment.

Bye,

Peter

Fir337
9th Nov 2008, 06:14 PM
But it looks liked it had been chewed and spat out.

MyShrimps
10th Nov 2008, 01:07 AM
Hi,

well, shrimps sometimes eat a few leaves if they are hungry.
But I still don't think that your shrimps are the culprits in this case.
It's much more probable that your hornwort has problems to accustom to its new light and water parameters.

Or do you have snails in the tank? Some snails, for example the columbian ramshorns, are always hungry plant eaters.

Bye,

Peter

magpie
22nd Jan 2009, 10:51 AM
I noticed that shrimps like to tackle the stem of the plants and caused the leave or part of the stem to be detached from the plants thus you will see the leaves or some stems falling off from the plants and floating on the tank.

Fir337
23rd Jan 2009, 02:15 PM
I found out what the cause was,it was because of a medication i used to kill the snails.

MyShrimps
23rd Jan 2009, 07:15 PM
Hi Fir337,
did all your shrimps survive the medication?
I ask because usually the chemicals against snails are dangerous for shrimps, too.

Bye,
Peter

Fir337
24th Jan 2009, 06:58 PM
Nope the shrimps all survived :)

MyShrimps
24th Jan 2009, 07:58 PM
Hi Fir337,

great to hear that the medication against snails didn't kill the shrimps. :)

Bye,
Peter