PDA

View Full Version : Careless...

dom
22nd Jun 2005, 11:05 AM
I saw my hang on filter with a very very weak flow. So, decided to take it out and cleaning up the magnet and sponges. I didn't check there is any shrimplets or not. But after i pour it out into my sink. I saw there were hundred of shrimplets jumping on my sink. They were too small for me to pick it up. And my sink was so oily.... :cry: I got no choice... open the pipe water and flushed them away. :wall:

i am shrimplets killer now! :hanged:

simcb
22nd Jun 2005, 11:15 AM
I saw my hang on filter with a very very weak flow. So, decided to take it out and cleaning up the magnet and sponges. I didn't check there is any shrimplets or not. But after i pour it out into my sink. I saw there were hundred of shrimplets jumping on my sink. They were too small for me to pick it up. And my sink was so oily.... :cry: I got no choice... open the pipe water and flushed them away. :wall:

i am shrimplets killer now! :hanged:

Sorry to hear about your lost.

Maybe you may prefer to diy a sponge filter refer to Robert's DIY sponge filter article that will help. Sponge filter dont trap shrimplets.

Or you could use fine mesh/cloth or internal filter sponge to cover the hangon inlet. I found 10++ cherry which grew up to be adults(few months old) in my canister filter the last time i clean it and i was already using mesh....not those very fine ones so i decided to change the mesh to a internal sponge after that incident.

dom
22nd Jun 2005, 11:45 AM
Sponge filter? Is that running with the air pump type which discus keeper using it?

amber2461
22nd Jun 2005, 12:23 PM
Hey Dom

Sorry to hear about your loss. :cry:

simcb
22nd Jun 2005, 03:28 PM
Sponge filter? Is that running with the air pump type which discus keeper using it?

Yeah it works with an air pump also helps establish some bacterial bacteria but wouldnt be as efficient as those canister bio media.

Either that or see if can get some the sponge filter type of material and wrap up the hang-on filter inlet.

Lotus
22nd Jun 2005, 09:54 PM
Even if I have the intake covered on my shrimp tanks, I still put the filter cartridge in a bowl of dechlorinated water to check for babies before I clean it out. Recently I changed the sponge on the intake, and found that the pores were too large, and I had 20 or more babies on the filter pad. :shocked:

Walter
22nd Jun 2005, 11:33 PM
Maybe you would want to add a sponge at the inlet so shrimplets cannot enter? And anyway what shrimplets are those? Hundreds is alot! A high order shrimp like cherry or CRS should only give birth to 5-10 at one time I thought? Did you have a big tank with lots of shrimps or are those low-order shrimp larvae? Just curious.. lol

Cheer up anyway, that shows your tank is very stable for them to breed so much, so soon there will be shrimplets again! :)

GunmetalBlue
23rd Jun 2005, 05:05 AM
Hey Dom, ouch, I can imagine your reaction when you realized it was too late. :sad3: I'm very sorry you lost your shrimplets and as difficult as it might have been, thanks for sharing the story. It's a good reminder for us the check.

On the bright side, yes, there should be plenty more shrimplets soon. :)

-GB

dom
23rd Jun 2005, 09:37 AM
I have a 2ftx2ft height tank. Honestly, i didnt really wash the filter since the tank is up and shrimps was introduce. I found some shrimplets was clambing on the filter media. Some was hiding inside the bio ring. Managed to save some of them.

Thanks for the info. I will get a big bowl and ready next time if i am happen to wash the filter again. :cry:

Jane of Upton
9th Dec 2005, 02:51 AM
I'm sorry to hear about this mishap. That's so sad to see them and know you can't pick them up. But like others have said, hopefully you'll have more very soon.

I have a question, though. I'm not sure I'm understaning this correctly. Did these shrimplets actually pass THROUGH the impeller/intake assembly and along into the filter chamber? What about for those of you saying you find shimplets in your canister filters? The same scenario? How do they ever survive past the impeller?

Wow!
-Jane

dom
9th Dec 2005, 08:36 AM
Hi Jane,

Welcome on board. The filter was not wash or clean for the past few months. There are lot of dirts stuck inside the filter and reducing the flow. So that the shrimplets are able to follow the inlet and get into the filter. This happened to the canister as well.

Learnt from mistake, I will get the filter inside a pail and wash. Will take out the shrimplet once found it in the dirts...

cheers,
dom