PDA

View Full Version : Bio Rings (filter media)

daisydog
11th Sep 2008, 07:50 AM
Does anyone here use filter media something like bio rings? What brand do you recommend? Are these products very popular in the U.S.? Thanks

newb4ev3r
11th Sep 2008, 05:27 PM
Does anyone here use filter media something like bio rings? What brand do you recommend? Are these products very popular in the U.S.? Thanks
I recommend two brands: Eheim Substrat Pro and Biohome

go9ma123
12th Sep 2008, 06:36 PM
I use Eheim for filter medias and I also use Fluval Biomax bio rings.
I think Fluval Biomax bio rings are good and they are like $9-$11 which is not that bad price.

jojo
14th Sep 2008, 06:53 PM
Is there a life span for Bio ring?:huh:

go9ma123
15th Sep 2008, 03:54 AM
I think you need to replace them when they are dirty.
I didn't replace mine after 6-8months later...
So, you can use them for while.

daisydog
15th Sep 2008, 11:22 AM
Have any of you heard of a bio rings called PowerHouse that is from Japan? My friends from Asia recommend this brand but dont see any available in the U.S.? Any idea? Thanks

go9ma123
15th Sep 2008, 11:29 AM
You won't be getting that in U.S. I know they are pretty good, but ehiem and fluval should also be good.

jojo
19th Sep 2008, 03:03 PM
I have just bought BIOHOME filtration medium. It states that a slow flow rate gives best results.:huh: Does this theory apply to air sponge filtration too??? Any comments and how slow is slow in their definition?

Thanks

pappyy3
22nd Sep 2008, 09:13 PM
I think you need to replace them when they are dirty.
I didn't replace mine after 6-8months later...
So, you can use them for while.

Actually you don't neeed to replace your bio rings very often at all (Unless you let them get really dirty and clog up).

I use the fluval bio rings have been and have had these for 3 years. I use them in a fluval 305 cannister filter, and rinse these in a bucket of aquarium water every 4 to 8 weeks. lol

Have never had any problems doing this and because they are rinsed regularly they are still in good condition. Just remember to always use aquarium water to rinse your filter material and you'll be fine ......