PDA

View Full Version : Anematone helena reproduction?

javigiles
6th Sep 2008, 08:10 AM
Hello, I would like to know if anybody has got the reproduction of A. helena. Some friends of mine has some eggs of them and we are trying to investige about this.

Anybody can help us? Do you know what is the best way to feed the baby snails? Every thing you can tell us will be very interesting.

Thank´s

Sounguru
6th Sep 2008, 08:33 AM
Okay here is what I have been able to gather and I have over 100 eggs in the same boat...

They take a month plus to hatch, they will be very small when born, and it will be up to a month before you can easily find them. So 2 months at the earliest before anything.

No one I have come across can tell me for sure what the litle guys eat. So I'm guessing here but I would assume small aquatic critters they can catch and newly hatched snails. So what I have done is placed them in a tank with 600+ MTS and the parents are going to town and laying eggs like mad. Now as the MTS get bigger the adults are taking them down, but I have plenty of babes still in the tank. I also added 2 Pond Snails to the mix and they got 2 clusters laid before the Assassins hunted down the adults, and I do mean hunted. I watched the Assassin ingore several MTS of eating size to go all the way across the tank and snag the PS. So needless to say I have a 10 gallon with PS, MTS, and Rams all waiting in the wings for the Assassins when the babes hatch and start to make a dent in the population in the main tank. Plus I have seeded all of my other tanks....:D

Sorry I can't be more help but I am gathering info as we speak since a lot is not known about these guys. It seems that the few breeders are being pretty tight lipped on what it takes to breed them and what to expect. I do know my eggs have turned from a white to a yellow color so I don't know if that means they are viable or not. Also all my eggs are on the substrate or the palnts that can support them. There are none on the larger rocs, wood, or glass. So I'm taking this to mean they come from a pebbly area with some stiff plant growth.

sorab
6th Sep 2008, 09:41 AM
I didn't do anything to breed them, I have four adults and they are constantly laying eggs, they ate all the snails so I am feeding them, bloodworm etc. They are in soft water ph 6.5. I dont know how long the eggs take to hatch it is at least 3 weeks at 23C. I don't know what the babies are eating but they are growing slowly they seem to find food on the glass and plants. I powder the shrimp pellets for the shrimplets so maybe they eat some of that. The first babies born are now killing small ramshorns and mts.
This is a pic of an egg and a baby clea helena (that is the scientific name again I am reliably informed) the baby is a little bigger than a seedshrimp at this stage. Dont think there is anything special that needs to be done to breed them, just have a few adults and a food supply. They are natural scavengers and will eat any dead flesh as happily as snails.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m183/ptm789/chelena2.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m183/ptm789/chelena.jpg

Sounguru
6th Sep 2008, 10:18 AM
Well searching on the different name I did find more info thanks for that....It does look to me like no one can make up their mind. It seems clea helena was or is depending on what you read the current or former name... Can no one make up their minds.... Anematone seems to be the subspecies name. Looks like either one is valid at this point.

Go figure no one can seem to make a soild stand on these or many of the shrimp species....

Claudio Cabral
6th Sep 2008, 07:02 PM
well, I had some reproduction of this guys... I think they take 2 weeks to hatch. I had them at ph-7.5 and 26ēC... I never worried about feeding the babies since I had many mts in the same tank and I think the babies feed on the babies mts, and some leftovers of shrimps. take care with their reproduction or they will be a plague very soon... I had one couple only and had 150 babies in two months... :)

Sounguru
7th Sep 2008, 01:03 AM
Yea there is a lot of misinformation floating around out there.

Like they only lay one egg every 10 days.:-)

Have found that Clea Helena is a snail that is very closely related found in Thialand where Clea Anematone Helena is our friend for Indonesia.

Big question is do they stop breeding in the absence of food and do they have to have protien based foods to survive.