PDA

View Full Version : Ada soil and PH

trevally
4th Sep 2008, 05:34 PM
I've noticed that when using ada soil for a new setup, the ph of the tank would drop to below 6. Should I let it remains as it is or add in some additives or coral chips to bring the ph above 6 ? Btw I'm keeping crs.

Discus62
8th Sep 2008, 07:07 AM
what is your PH at now? I use florabase in my tanks & I had to add coral pieces in my tank to raise it, but I am no expert, I am sure others here can help you.

Dungmvp
10th Sep 2008, 05:49 PM
I think Ada Soil releases much acidic at first but then slower, as others said wait about 1 month for the Ada Soil to get stable releasing and the water get buffer, then change water to get the right Ph you want. I also think bacterias could cause Ph because at first too much amonia but less bacterias leading to low Ph but then the bacterias thrive the Ph get more stable buffer and Ph higher. Just my thought. I don't really know.
I'm setting a new tank now with Ada II and Special Power Sand about 10 days, the Ph was below 6 but now 6.1 (no water change since last check, just use air pump to get the bacterias thrive), so...
I don't want to use calcium to raise Ph, just wait and see.
Frienly

Xema
10th Sep 2008, 08:42 PM
Take care, ADA Aquasoil Amazonia has amonium too.

http://www.adana.co.jp/aj_web/img/notes_lab_01_800pix.jpg

royong99
29th Sep 2008, 04:14 PM
quick question, while coral chips will buffer ph, wont it raise the general hardness too, of which too hard is no no for shrimps?

Dungmvp
29th Sep 2008, 06:16 PM
quick question, while coral chips will buffer ph, wont it raise the general hardness too, of which too hard is no no for shrimps?

Coral chips don't buffer pH, they release canxi into water so general hardness and pH raise. Putting coral chips may lead to mistake later on so use other methods to raise pH safely or just wait for tank gets enough buffer.

Shauno
27th Jan 2009, 05:08 PM
...they release canxi into water so ....

Dungmvp,

What is canxi? Is this just a typo?

michaelmah
5th Apr 2009, 12:35 AM
can try limestone.

alvinckj
5th Apr 2009, 11:02 PM
Coral chips don't buffer pH, they release canxi into water so general hardness and pH raise. Putting coral chips may lead to mistake later on so use other methods to raise pH safely or just wait for tank gets enough buffer.

Hi, Would like to know what kind of mistake would it be?

retardo
6th Apr 2009, 12:19 AM
Dungmvp,

What is canxi? Is this just a typo?

canxi = calcium. I googled it and used dungmvp's country to determine that it was calcium in Vietnamese.

Dungmvp, please use English where possible.