PDA

View Full Version : Why wont my high grades eat?

altoids
3rd Sep 2008, 09:09 AM
My high grade CRS will not attack any food that i put in my tank. :cry:
they dont eat boiled spinach, and they will only nibble on my shirakura shriimp food and swim off. :bs_help:

Any tips on feeding? maybe how often i should do it? :huh:

or a diffrent type of food?
please help :cry:
thx

brightsparky
3rd Sep 2008, 09:20 AM
That happened to my shrimps too. Mine didn't like boiled spinach either.

Maybe there is enough plaktons in the tank for them to feed on.

What I did was NOT feed them for a day or two. Also noted that some of the shrimp food may not be as fresh. So I gave them fresh "crab cuisine" pellets (i.e. newly bought), and they ate that.

I shrimp
3rd Sep 2008, 02:35 PM
Hi There, may I know your water parmeter? It somehow affect your shrimps. Do check and let me know.

Crazy4Shrimps
3rd Sep 2008, 05:54 PM
Hi

Did you acclimate your CRS properly before you put them into the tank?
Sometimes too high or too low pH will result in "stone" CRS.
Had this problem initially when I was setting up my cherry tank and the pH was way too low. After making some adjustment to pH, they are very active and eating lots too. Have not fed any spinach though cause can't seem to find any organic ones.

volkracing99
4th Sep 2008, 07:25 PM
uuummm I just wondering about shrimps doing "stone",
I just move my cherry shrimp to new tank, and they all seem doing "stone"

pH 7.4
Temp 78.8

What else do I have to check?

Dungmvp
5th Sep 2008, 03:50 AM
Any CRS food like Shirakura, JBL... are ok for them but you have to give them some time to get used to it, at first just give them very little for smelling if they begin to eat then give them more. Don't have to worry if your water is good, my A - SS and Golden eat JBL and Japanese wafer at same time.
I did worry like you do now and tried to do some with my water but that was wrong, so don't mess with the water if you're not sure.

Crazy4Shrimps
6th Sep 2008, 01:39 PM
Hi

The usual things to check out for are ammonium, nitrite, nitrate (all of which ideally must be 0; anything higher especially for ammonium then you will see your shrimps doing backflip.)
I am not too sure if kH is important. But I still check for it and make sure it is within the safe range ( you mentioned yours is cherry so kH should be 1~2dH)
For my case, pH is the thing that always result in "stone" shrimps. For cherry, they need slight acidic water so your pH should be around the range of 6.5~7.
Your temperature is good at 78.8.

Word of caution: Only meddle with your water if your shrimps are dying or seem unwell otherwise you may cause more harm than good.

Good luck to your shrimping. I am rather new here as well. Been doing lots and lotsa reading these 2 months.

luky
6th Sep 2008, 02:42 PM
IF you,..just bought them,..maybe,..their diet from breeder it's different from your diet,..that way they won't ate them,....mostly breeder from I know,..give them high protein food such as frozen blood worm,..to increase rate of reproduction of the shrimp,...maybe

jyilailong
6th Sep 2008, 08:14 PM
Are they nipping around or stay still? They should be ok if they're still nipping around.

TitoC
29th Jan 2009, 06:36 PM
Hi Altoids, did your shrimp develop a normal appetite after this?

altoids
31st Jan 2009, 11:29 AM
Hi Altoids, did your shrimp develop a normal appetite after this?

they are eating like crazy and making tons of babies
tanks everyone

JohnPaul
24th May 2009, 02:52 AM
For my case, pH is the thing that always result in "stone" shrimps. For cherry, they need slight acidic water so your pH should be around the range of 6.5~7.
Your temperature is good at 78.8.

I would strongly disagree with this. I had a Red Cherry Shrimp colony that was booming and reproducing like mad, and that was in water with pH ~ 7.2 to 7.3. I went from 12 shrimp to 150+ in less than 9 months. So it's definitely not true that they need acidic water. :)

inque
26th May 2009, 02:20 AM
I would strongly disagree with this. I had a Red Cherry Shrimp colony that was booming and reproducing like mad, and that was in water with pH ~ 7.2 to 7.3. I went from 12 shrimp to 150+ in less than 9 months. So it's definitely not true that they need acidic water. :)

i have a 3ft Image below
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a177/inque171/IMG_0229.jpg

the cherry can't seem to get Berry :huh:
PH should be at 7 ~ 7.1 :embarasse

JohnPaul
26th May 2009, 04:58 AM
the cherry can't seem to get Berry :huh:
PH should be at 7 ~ 7.1 :embarasse

Are those fish in there? That might be part of the reason. In my experience, shrimp (even if they are otherwise "happy") either won't berry at all, or else will berry far more rarely, if they feel unsafe as a result of predators in the tank. And basically any fish could be considered predators to dwarf shrimp. Or sometimes the females *will* berry but they will get surprised by a fish swimming by quickly and they'll drop the eggs.

Not saying it can't be done--I've known people who have had their RCS reproduce in tanks that also included fish--but it is a far more uncertain thing. If you are serious about having your shrimp reproduce, the first thing I'd suggest is to remove all the fish. Then give them a month or so by themselves in the tank, keeping the water as pristine as you can, and see what happens.

inque
26th May 2009, 11:11 PM
Are those fish in there? That might be part of the reason. In my experience, shrimp (even if they are otherwise "happy") either won't berry at all, or else will berry far more rarely, if they feel unsafe as a result of predators in the tank. And basically any fish could be considered predators to dwarf shrimp. Or sometimes the females *will* berry but they will get surprised by a fish swimming by quickly and they'll drop the eggs.

Not saying it can't be done--I've known people who have had their RCS reproduce in tanks that also included fish--but it is a far more uncertain thing. If you are serious about having your shrimp reproduce, the first thing I'd suggest is to remove all the fish. Then give them a month or so by themselves in the tank, keeping the water as pristine as you can, and see what happens.

I've the cherries about 1mobth plus before introducing the fish ( more out of
boredom with Cherries )

Tank population of mine tank
100 X Cardinal Tetras
1 X Zebra Otto
1 X Otto
9 X Yamato Shrimps
40 +++ Cherries

and ALOT of SNAILS lol

Sorry Back to topic , got abit carried away. :joking:

PS mine CRS in mine "new" 3ft still not eating the food left for them >(
Just observe no deaths ( crossed my fingers ) plus some green poops
some of them left behind lol

I think need some time for them to adjust to the tank. Shrimps no need
to be fed 24/7 as they are opportunistic feeders and will gladly feast on any dead or decomp matter around. Though they prefer algae food ( be it natural or man made )

Makoto
28th May 2009, 04:05 AM
I've the cherries about 1mobth plus before introducing the fish ( more out of
boredom with Cherries )

Tank population of mine tank
100 X Cardinal Tetras
1 X Zebra Otto
1 X Otto
9 X Yamato Shrimps
40 +++ Cherries

and ALOT of SNAILS lol

Sorry Back to topic , got abit carried away. :joking:

PS mine CRS in mine "new" 3ft still not eating the food left for them >(
Just observe no deaths ( crossed my fingers ) plus some green poops
some of them left behind lol

I think need some time for them to adjust to the tank. Shrimps no need
to be fed 24/7 as they are opportunistic feeders and will gladly feast on any dead or decomp matter around. Though they prefer algae food ( be it natural or man made )

Lay off the water change for a week or more, only do top off, the higher grades in particular like stability, little to no fluctuation in ph and temps, i would recommend getting a electronic ph monitor to keep a constant eye on your ph

inque
1st Jun 2009, 04:57 PM
Lay off the water change for a week or more, only do top off, the higher grades in particular like stability, little to no fluctuation in ph and temps, i would recommend getting a electronic ph monitor to keep a constant eye on your ph

for pinpoint ph i'm not going to get at the moment untill i get
s grades for mine tank. Will see how the first batch or c grades
turn out 1st. Now waiting for them to berried :x