PDA

View Full Version : New member, new scrimps

FamHgg
7th Jun 2005, 03:36 AM
:bs_help:

We have had our tank only since dec. 2004.
We was recommended to buy scrimps to get rid of algaes.

We doesn't remember the name of it but we think it´s 3 Yamato shrimps (bee surfing around here for help) :)

Now we think that one is carrying eggs. What shall we do? :huh:
We have a freshwater tank whit different sorts of fish in it.

Best regards
from Sweden
:bow:

rain-
7th Jun 2005, 03:53 AM
Hej och välkommen. I am new here too :)

If you are talking about yamato shrimps, Caridina japonica, the shrimplets need brackish water to develop. If you want to try raising them, I'm sure here are people who will be able to instruct you with the brackish water baby tank setup. But if you feel it is too much work, I'd suggest you try to find an easier species to breed. Like Red Cherry, they don't need brackish water for the babies but fish might eat the babies in a community tank anyway.

dwaffer
7th Jun 2005, 12:34 PM
Welcome!

There is alot of info in the library section on your species and a great article on breeding. I havent raised anyof that species but I wish you good luck with them. :D

kimco
9th Jun 2005, 03:12 PM
Hi,

You may want to try this link
mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm

I found it quite informative on Yamato breeding.

Cheers,

KG

dxq_canada
9th Jun 2005, 06:48 PM
I have two female Yamato's and they are constantly with eggs ... but I am not breeding them so I leave them in my tank. I have never had any surviving young.

So, if you did want to breed them then you must take the effort and transfer the female (after the eggs turn from dark to light) to brackish tank for the young to survive.