PDA

View Full Version : sagitarrius natans

susanmaree
24th Jul 2008, 03:46 PM
Hi

I have just received some plants purchased through EBay and the seller sent me some 'bonus' plants. One of the bonus plants is something they call 'arrowhead" and when I asked for more detail they gave me the scientific name as sagitarrius natans. However, I can not find anything on google using either name and I have also drawn a blank on the Tropica site. The only other information the seller provided is "The "arrowhead" is so-called because it forms an arrow when it becomes emmerse." "It is often used in Aquaria as a broadleafed plant for Discus and other egglayers to deposit their eggs on."

I do not have a digital camera at home today to take a picture but the plant I have has medium green strappy leaves (rather like a Louisiana Iris leaf but fleshier) emerging from a central point. The leaves are a good 8 inches long and the widest ones are about an inch wide. To me it looks like something that would not grow permanently submerged.

Does anyone have any idea what the plant may be? and what water conditions it likes?

thanks for any help

Susan

ranchu dad
27th Jul 2008, 05:52 AM
Hi Susan,

I think what they have given you is (Syngonium podophyllum) it is quite common and comes in various colors. There are really two types one is a pond plant and the other is the water version. I'm sure if you enter the name into google you will do much better this time.