PDA

View Full Version : crossing ordinary sinensis and var. "red"

ArcheNova
28th May 2005, 04:33 PM
Here is my first question to the community:

What exactly happens if you hybridize N. denticulata sinensis and N. denticulata sinensis var. "red"?
1. Will the offspring loose it's coloration by degrees or
2. will there be ~50% fully-colored and ~50% non-colored shrimps?

Hope you can help me...

ArcheNova

eilebue
28th May 2005, 08:20 PM
Hi,

I think it's like the second Mendelian law, if the P-generation is homozygous, then the F1-generation would look completely like the nominal form because the red color isn't dominant, so it is recessive, and also the genotype isn't homozygous.
When you now cross the F1 with each other, the appearance of the F2 will be 75% normal and 25% will be red. The genotype is: 25% homozygous red, 25% homozygous normal and 50% is heterozygous for red.

I hope that's coherent :undecided

regards
eike

Robert
29th May 2005, 01:28 AM
Hi,
I haven't done this cross before because I never had this normal, more or less color less, Neocaridina denticulata sinensis in my tank but I think it should be like Eike described it. The red coloration is a recessive mutation, so it should follow Mendel's laws. Other color mutations in several shrimp species e.g. bee/diamond shrimps or green shrimps do follow Mendel's laws, although the percentage of the homozygous recessive offspring in the F2 is smaller than expected in my experience.

Best regards

Robert

PS. Eike, I hope you don't worry about editing your post. I just corrected some misspellings and let it sound less German. I really appreciate your participation here and difficulties with the English language should not stop you. (Kenne ja selber das Problem, wie drücke ich das jetzt in Englisch aus.)

eilebue
29th May 2005, 02:16 AM
Hi Robert,

no problem, english isn't my first language, so I have no problems when someone who is better correct the misspellings etc. which I made, also I go nor to school to learn... so there is nor a little bit hope. ;D

Greets
Eike

ArcheNova
29th May 2005, 03:12 AM
OK. I think I'm going to keep some Fire's separated because I don't want to lose them at all. But I will also hybridize the clades in another tank to strengthen their efficiency. Might work...
Thank you for your help.

ArcheNova (The new Arc...)