PDA

View Full Version : r/o water, CHLORINE & shrimps

baruch mor
25th May 2005, 09:39 PM
Hi, do you think a 10-20% water change straight from the tap would harm shrimps?
Should I go for higher percantege of r/o water and add calcium and magnesium?

silane
25th May 2005, 09:51 PM
What are your tap water parameters? We can only help when we know what are your tap water parameters.

retardo
26th May 2005, 01:39 AM
Hi, do you think a 10-20% water change straight from the tap would harm shrimps?
Should I go for higher percantege of r/o water and add calcium and magnesium?

If your local water treatment facility uses chloramine to treat your water so that it's drinkable, you will want to use a water conditioner to break the bond of chloramine, which inhibits the proper intake of oxygen in fish and other aquatic life (except plants). If they use chlorine, the best thing to do is age (let it sit) the water from the tap for a few days. Chlorine will evaporate in that amount of time. Chloramine will not no matter how long you age the water.

My advice is to use a water conditioner (dechlorinator/dechloraminator) each and every time you change your water. You can't go wrong going this route.

silane
26th May 2005, 10:48 AM
If your local water treatment facility uses chloramine to treat your water so that it's drinkable, you will want to use a water conditioner to break the bond of chloramine, which inhibits the proper intake of oxygen in fish and other aquatic life (except plants). If they use chlorine, the best thing to do is age (let it sit) the water from the tap for a few days. Chlorine will evaporate in that amount of time. Chloramine will not no matter how long you age the water.

My advice is to use a water conditioner (dechlorinator/dechloraminator) each and every time you change your water. You can't go wrong going this route.

Oh, now I got baruch's question. Agreed with retardo, water conditioner that mentions capable of removing both chloramine and chlorine should be use.