PDA

View Full Version : How to rescape for a shrimp tank?

dom
25th May 2005, 03:23 PM
Hi,

Normally I just setup a tank. Then let the shrimps there. They will breeding and breeding. I never thinking of rescape the tank. But I saw my dwarf vallisneria over grown. And hairgrass are not growing well due to the vallisneria covering most of the place.

I am thinking of recaping my 2x2x1.5ft tank which full of shrimps. There are more than 150 shrimps in there. From the baby shrimp to adult. Cherry, blue, tiger, bee, yamato... It is gonna headache to me to catch the shrimp out one by one and rescape the tank.

Anyone can advise how to rescape the tank without disturbing the shrimp? :joking:

kross
25th May 2005, 04:13 PM
If I were you, I will just go ahead to recape it (extra care given) with the shrimps in it. A few casualties is inevitable. :D

simcb
25th May 2005, 04:26 PM
If you are doing a bit of trimming it shouldnt kill any. But if you are pulling out and planting stuff. You might expect a few causalties in the process.

If you are using base fert then better not pull things out.

dom
25th May 2005, 04:29 PM
I am using garden soil with peat moss for my basefert. :D This is what i am worrying about.

silane
25th May 2005, 05:11 PM
Sound like the danger level is high. When you do rescaping you could be releasing methane, hydrogen sulfide and others gases/compound trapped in the gravel. They are fatal to shrimp.

What I can think of is to use large quantity of catalytic activated carbon and ammonia removal rock (not zeolite, it just says it remove ammonia and hydrogen sulfide) in your canister filter.

But if I will either not re-escape or remove the shrimps. There will left over of shrimps in tank for sure and use activated carbon and ammonia removal rock in your filters.

dom
25th May 2005, 05:18 PM
:embarasse gonna be tough for me to rescape...i will try to get the shrimps out one by one n see how they are doing first.