PDA

View Full Version : Shrimplets in tank. Any common problems to avoid?

Newcastle
24th May 2005, 08:48 AM
hi all,

I just had my only 2 surviving cherry shrimp lay eggs and had shrimplets in tank...
very happy over it...

any experts or guru out there, I would like to know, if there is any common pitfalls or problems to avoid.

I certainly want to see the shrimps grow to adult... :)

simcb
24th May 2005, 09:16 AM
hi all,

I just had my only 2 surviving cherry shrimp lay eggs and had shrimplets in tank...
very happy over it...

any experts or guru out there, I would like to know, if there is any common pitfalls or problems to avoid.

I certainly want to see the shrimps grow to adult... :)

Hi,

Maybe you can check your filter inlet if its has big holes as the shrimplets might get suck in usually we block the holes with sponge/cloth mesh.

Try not to change water more than 30% or overfeed during the first two weeks. Sometimes sudden Ph up/down might kill shrimplets and fouling the water weakens the shrimplets.

kross
24th May 2005, 11:11 AM
Congrats! My experience is don't change water just top up will do. Keep your temp below 28C and don't over feed the adults. Shrimplet got plenty of "food" around the tank and especially if you have a sponge filter in it. Goodluck! :)

Newcastle
24th May 2005, 07:52 PM
Congrats! My experience is don't change water just top up will do. Keep your temp below 28C and don't over feed the adults. Shrimplet got plenty of "food" around the tank and especially if you have a sponge filter in it. Goodluck! :)

ok.
Ya I tend to overfeed the adults in the fear that there is not enough food in the tank.

but i do have a lot of Java moss inside the tank.

kalyhead
24th May 2005, 11:46 PM
there should be plenty of vegetation/moss in your tank to let the shrimplets hide and find food.. watch your filter and the rest should be ok. Add water only and "count" your shrimplets once in a while, i started with 6, then for weeks i could only spot 2-4 and the last count, i have 8 babies.

Newcastle
25th May 2005, 09:21 AM
thanks bros..

problem is that it is not easy to count or spot?

I am putting in small hikari algae wafer cubes which I see the adult cherry shrimp, snails and shrimplets eating...

but can't spot all...not easy man...

kalyhead
25th May 2005, 10:07 AM
it is not easy at all, maybe being shortsighted helps because i can sort of "zoom" at the tank. My tank is 1ft only, so less area to cover. Its a balance of "hey, there is a shrimplet here, and here, (look out again to confirm its still there) and eventually get your numbers. I believe i could have more than 8 shrimplets, but so far, i'm happy with the ones i counted.

BSK
7th Jun 2005, 02:52 PM
i had like 50+ of my malaysian shrimps laying eggs last week.
went into hysteria as i had to rush out n buy a bio sponge
to block the suction inlet of my ext filter.

however the water looks very cloudy with all the eggs
floating about.

cleared out my tetras & otos to another tank to avoid any accidents.

what shud i do? just wait? will the adults eat the eggs?

fyi - hve abt 100+ shrimps in there.

BSK
7th Jun 2005, 02:55 PM
are these the eggs/frys??

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/bwaysailuankan/prawn3.jpg

simcb
8th Jun 2005, 09:21 AM
i had like 50+ of my malaysian shrimps laying eggs last week.
went into hysteria as i had to rush out n buy a bio sponge
to block the suction inlet of my ext filter.

however the water looks very cloudy with all the eggs
floating about.

cleared out my tetras & otos to another tank to avoid any accidents.

what shud i do? just wait? will the adults eat the eggs?

fyi - hve abt 100+ shrimps in there.

The adult shrimps wont eat the larves. Did you say larves or eggs?

I pretty sure they dont lay egg that floats around. They should look like miniture mosquite larves.

If you have removed the tetras, the larves should be pretty safe. The question now is food and water change. Lower form shrimps needs to feed on green water hope you know how to cultivate them. Try not to water change until they turn shrimplets form which will take sometime.