PDA

View Full Version : active carbon media for shirmp tank?

bslong
23rd May 2005, 03:09 PM
hi,

using active carbon filter media in a shrimp tank, is it good?
can it clear the water of impurities and toxic?

regards
jeremy

Walter
23rd May 2005, 03:15 PM
Activated carbon is very effective for removing ammonia. I think there isn't any side effects so why not. :) But most of us here use small filters for our shrimps so i guess there wasn't any AC in our media. At least for me.. :p

Anyway do note that you have to change the AC after some months, depending on your bioload, because I learnt that AC will release excess ammonia when reaching its saturation point, and that will cause a deadly ammonia spike. :shocked:

Anyway welcome to the forum! :D:D

Rupert
23rd May 2005, 08:31 PM
Anyway do note that you have to change the AC after some months, depending on your bioload, because I learnt that AC will release excess ammonia when reaching its saturation point, and that will cause a deadly ammonia spike.

I am not sure about the ammonia spike; rather there will be a gradual performance degradation until the carbon can no longer hold/absorb any more then it will cease to be effective. Once the carbon reaches maximum absorption capacity I would expect like any filter media that is saturated, some of what it has captured will diffuse back into the tank and if the underlying toxic element is still being generated then there will be a build up until biolife suffers.

Here is a website with some more info:

http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/carbon.html

retardo
24th May 2005, 12:51 AM
I personally do not use AC for the purpose or removing ammonia or other impurities. The reason being that it is an artificial remedy for something that the biofilter should take care of. It may be a good idea to use when you begin cycling your tank to reduce the impact of any ammonia on your fauna or to remove any medications you may have used for fish illnesses, but it is by no means a permanent solution. You may opt to use it, but it does degrade after awhile and requires replacement...