PDA

View Full Version : Red Nose Shrimp eggs hatching

kross
22nd May 2005, 07:35 PM
Anyone ever successfully bred red nose shrimp? My female rednose is pregnant and I thought I give it a try in hatching the eggs. The female is carrying the eggs and how do I go about hatching them now? Appreciate your sharing. :D

rclover
23rd May 2005, 03:48 AM
what are your water conditions?

GunmetalBlue
23rd May 2005, 04:06 AM
Hi Kross, congrats on your pregnant Red Nose! I haven't yet heard of anyone successfully breeding them though that doesn't mean no one has. It's to my understanding that most, if not all Red Nose are wild-caught at this time. Hope someone could relate their experiences though.

The larvae will need brackish/saltwater, but that's about all I know. So *perhaps it's a bit like using the directions for raising Amanos? That's just a guess though. Please keep us updated on your progress and detail any steps you take as the eggs mature/hatch. Maybe you'll be among the first to succeed?! How many Red Nose do you have? And for this species, is it fairly easy to tell the sexes apart? Best wishes. :)

-GunmetalBlue
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shrimpkeeping: At last, a hobby in which algae is not my worst enemy...

kross
23rd May 2005, 01:41 PM
what are your water conditions?

I keep them with my crs.

Temp 27C
PH 6
KH unknown
GH unknown

This is as much as I know. :P

kross
23rd May 2005, 01:53 PM
Hi Kross, congrats on your pregnant Red Nose! I haven't yet heard of anyone successfully breeding them though that doesn't mean no one has. It's to my understanding that most, if not all Red Nose are wild-caught at this time. Hope someone could relate their experiences though.

The larvae will need brackish/saltwater, but that's about all I know. So *perhaps it's a bit like using the directions for raising Amanos? That's just a guess though. Please keep us updated on your progress and detail any steps you take as the eggs mature/hatch. Maybe you'll be among the first to succeed?! How many Red Nose do you have? And for this species, is it fairly easy to tell the sexes apart? Best wishes. :)

-GunmetalBlue
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shrimpkeeping: At last, a hobby in which algae is not my worst enemy...

Hi GB, Thanks. I have 9 of them. 2 males and the rest are females(I think). I differentiate their sexes by its nose and size. Male has a slim body and red nose whereas the female has got colorless nose and broader body. I compare their sizes using their total length. That way, you'll get a pretty accurate sexing. For instance, compare 2 shrimps with approximately the same length. Once you got that, move on to check their body size and nose. :D However do take note that under stressed conditions, the male will easily loses the redness of its nose. But you probably won't go wrong with the body size. :)
Btw, the male usually will have a pretty long nose if it is not damaged. lol

Actually, my problem now is how to get those eggs hatch in brackish or saltwater. With the female carrying the eggs and put it in brackish water? It will probably kill it?:huh: Or "collect" the eggs and put them in brackish or saltwater to hatch? Then again, how to collect? lol
Hmmm....guess I'll just experiment it. :D

silane
23rd May 2005, 01:55 PM
My guess is you have to put the female in weak (compare with full strength seawater) salinity aged green water days plus sponge filter days before she release her babies.

After she releases her fries, got to acclaimise her back to freshwater, same thing before putting her into salt water.

Some people tried to breed Yamato, the babies were released in freshwater, they died within 2 days.

Good luck, keep us update.

kross
23rd May 2005, 02:03 PM
My guess is you have to put the female in weak (compare with full strength seawater) salinity aged green water days plus sponge filter days before she release her babies.

After she releases her fries, got to acclaimise her back to freshwater, same thing before putting her into salt water.

Some people tried to breed Yamato, the babies were released in freshwater, they died within 2 days.

Good luck, keep us update.

Thanks fruitpie. This is a big project! lol

silane
23rd May 2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks fruitpie. This is a big project! lol

I am sure it will be big brood too and it will be lot of fun. :)

Walter
23rd May 2005, 03:11 PM
Good luck for your project. Do note the brackish water you are going to put the female in must not be too saline either. (No one knows the exact amount though, its a risk) However too little the babies will die too. :confused:

Wish you best of luck and may you succeed! :D

GunmetalBlue
24th May 2005, 05:50 AM
Hi Kross, I don't envy the job you have before you - yups, a lot of hard work! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/Catgravity/ZMisco/Rollupdownboulder.gif Plus you must be nervous with us looking over your shoulder, hehe. :D

If you were to follow Mike Noren's (Mikes-machine) method of raising Amano fry, the adult does not need to be put in brackish/salt water - the Amanos in nature supposedly release the hatched eggs in freshwater at which time the larvae gets swept out to sea (saline water). So basically, when the larvae hatch, you can use a flashlight to "gather" them (they are attracted to light), then straw them up (or use a clean turkey baster) and drop them into saline water. Of course the million dollar question is whether Red Nose breed like that, but it could be worth a try since you are not endangering your mother Red Nose since she stays in freshwater.

-GunmetalBlue

kross
24th May 2005, 11:02 AM
Hi Kross, I don't envy the job you have before you - yups, a lot of hard work! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/Catgravity/ZMisco/Rollupdownboulder.gif Plus you must be nervous with us looking over your shoulder, hehe. :D

If you were to follow Mike Noren's (Mikes-machine) method of raising Amano fry, the adult does not need to be put in brackish/salt water - the Amanos in nature supposedly release the hatched eggs in freshwater at which time the larvae gets swept out to sea (saline water). So basically, when the larvae hatch, you can use a flashlight to "gather" them (they are attracted to light), then straw them up (or use a clean turkey baster) and drop them into saline water. Of course the million dollar question is whether Red Nose breed like that, but it could be worth a try since you are not endangering your mother Red Nose since she stays in freshwater.

-GunmetalBlue

Ok. From what I see there are a couple of ways to do it. Here are 2 options that I'm considering.

1. Isolate the pregnant female in another small holding tank. (My cycled unused phototank. :D ) Let the famale release the fries and remove the female. Then I will slowly increase the salinity (how much? :huh: ) of the water and hopefully the fries survive or,

2. Isolate the pregnant female and slowly increase the salinity of the water. If the female is still alive and releases the fries, I will slowly reduce the salinity of the water when the fries are around 5mm long.

So, which should I use? Option 1 or 2? :undecided

silane
24th May 2005, 12:46 PM
I will go for option 1, if you don;t want to stress the female, put it in a MATURED separate breeding tank, let it releases the babies. Upon fully release, remove female, increase salinity (you pick a salinity level, I guess at least 50% of full marine salinity is needed) over many days.

Someone attempted to breed yamato said his fries start to die on second day in freshwater, but that maybe different case from red nose.

Keep us update, this going to be interesting. :drummer:

Hockey_shrimp
28th May 2005, 08:26 AM
hello:

Here is some advice. I just managed to raise the red nose larvae to little shrimps about 5 mm size to tis point. In the Noren article, do not dump the larvae into full marine water. I did that twice and nothing survived. On the third try I gradually increased the salinity by 2 ppt per day until 17 ppt. I left it at 17 ppt but since I had an open tank and left for a short vacation, evaporation resulted in a final salinity of about 24 ppt. At that time, the larvae were 1 month old and began to change into little shrimp. I left it at 24 ppt for 1 week until all the larvae had changed, about 30 -40. I gradually decreased the salinity by 2 ppt per day until 0 ppt. When larvae, I kept the light on 24/7 to grow algae and used liquifry 1x per day which seemed to be enough.

the only problem now is what do you do with 30-40 shrimp when grown.

Good luck.

GunmetalBlue
28th May 2005, 11:31 AM
Hockey Shrimp, welcome to the forums and congrats on your success story! Glad you shared your experiences, it will be most helpful here. :)

Kross, is everything still going good with the pregnant Red Nose? By the way, thanks for the helpful explanation of how to tell the difference between the male and female. It sounded a little like you were talking about Pinocchio. :joking:

> "Keep us update, this going to be interesting. :drummer:

Yes, as Fruitpie says, this will be very interesting indeed! :cool:

silane
28th May 2005, 12:14 PM
Hockey_shrimp,

Welcome to the forum, and nice to know that you have succeeded in breeding red nose shrimp.

What is the tool that you use to measure salinity? Were you are using marine salt mix or seawater?

kross
28th May 2005, 01:14 PM
hello:

Here is some advice. I just managed to raise the red nose larvae to little shrimps about 5 mm size to tis point. In the Noren article, do not dump the larvae into full marine water. I did that twice and nothing survived. On the third try I gradually increased the salinity by 2 ppt per day until 17 ppt. I left it at 17 ppt but since I had an open tank and left for a short vacation, evaporation resulted in a final salinity of about 24 ppt. At that time, the larvae were 1 month old and began to change into little shrimp. I left it at 24 ppt for 1 week until all the larvae had changed, about 30 -40. I gradually decreased the salinity by 2 ppt per day until 0 ppt. When larvae, I kept the light on 24/7 to grow algae and used liquifry 1x per day which seemed to be enough.

the only problem now is what do you do with 30-40 shrimp when grown.

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. :)
Question:
When you mention larvae, I assume that the female shrimp has release them and was remove from the tank before you add marine salt? Please elaborate. Thanks. :D

Hockey_shrimp
28th May 2005, 01:49 PM
Yes. I let the female release the larvae then removed the female from the tank. I didn't add the salt to the tank but changed the water gradually replacing with, I think water that was 1/2 strength marine water that I mixed and aerated for 24 hours before adding to the tank. But I replaced enough to go up by 2 ppt each day.

I did a daily water exchange until I got up to 17 ppt then probably every other day since the liquifry seemed to foul the water pretty quickly. I'm not sure adding the liquifry did anything, maybe help to grow the algae. But you will notice the larvae stay on the quarium glass a lot, maybe to feed. I let the algae grow on the tank sides and bottom (bare bottom tank). I think eventually I gave up on the liquifry. Later I tried crushed flake and freeze dried brine shrimp once in a while. i think the only thing I did different from the Noren article was the gradual increase of salinity to 17 ppt rather than dumping into full strength sea water.

Cheers.

Hockey_shrimp
28th May 2005, 01:52 PM
Sorry i didn't read the other questions before replying before. I used a swing arm hydrometer and used Instant Ocean mix (both were cheap).

amber2461
28th May 2005, 01:53 PM
Hey Hockey Shrimp

Whereabouts in Canada are you? Thanks for posting your journey in breeding those adorable shrimps.

kross
28th May 2005, 02:04 PM
Yes. I let the female release the larvae then removed the female from the tank. I didn't add the salt to the tank but changed the water gradually replacing with, I think water that was 1/2 strength marine water that I mixed and aerated for 24 hours before adding to the tank. But I replaced enough to go up by 2 ppt each day.

I did a daily water exchange until I got up to 17 ppt then probably every other day since the liquifry seemed to foul the water pretty quickly. I'm not sure adding the liquifry did anything, maybe help to grow the algae. But you will notice the larvae stay on the quarium glass a lot, maybe to feed. I let the algae grow on the tank sides and bottom (bare bottom tank). I think eventually I gave up on the liquifry. Later I tried crushed flake and freeze dried brine shrimp once in a while. i think the only thing I did different from the Noren article was the gradual increase of salinity to 17 ppt rather than dumping into full strength sea water.

Cheers.

Thanks alot for the guide! :)
Now....That's gonna be a HUGE project for me! :D
Let me see....where is the female now.... lol

Hockey_shrimp
11th Jun 2005, 03:44 PM
Hello Everyone:

Here are some fuzzy pictures of red-nose shrimp fry at about 2.5 months of age.

Hope these pictures get uploaded OK.

silane
11th Jun 2005, 10:40 PM
Impressive.

I suppose you brought them up in brackish water? For how many days were they kept in brackish/salt water?

Hockey_shrimp
12th Jun 2005, 08:29 AM
In total I would say 4 weeks in brackish water to get them to change from larvae to little shrimp then another week to make sure all larvae changed then another one to two weeks to gradually reduce salinity to fresh water.

Lotus
12th Jun 2005, 09:48 AM
That's a lot of work, congratulations on getting them this far!

Are you planning to breed more, sell these ones? Just curious. :D

silane
12th Jun 2005, 10:04 AM
In total I would say 4 weeks in brackish water to get them to change from larvae to little shrimp then another week to make sure all larvae changed then another one to two weeks to gradually reduce salinity to fresh water.

At what day do you start to increase the salinity and what is the maximum level?

Hockey_shrimp
13th Jun 2005, 01:32 PM
I started to increase salinity the first day. I intended to increase to 17 ppt only but ended up going to 24 ppt. So the max I got up to was 24 ppt.

ralp
13th Jun 2005, 03:40 PM
Wow - Hockey_shrimp. Thats impressive. I have never ever heard about successfully breeding of this little beauties. Maybe you should make an article about your journey and publish here ;) Otherwise you have to answer tons of single questions from now on :D

Regards. Ralp

simcb
13th Jun 2005, 10:31 PM
Nice photo shots.

It always feel good to hear another successful attempt at shrimp breeding dont you think? :D Do share your insights on red nose breeding with us. Yeah document your breeding process it will be fun.

:karate: Let the journey begin. ;)

Hockey_shrimp
14th Jun 2005, 02:38 AM
You guys are right.

I'll work on an article to document the process so ...no more single questions. I'm waiting for another pregancy to try it again. I've only done it successfully once out of three tries so it's not like I've perfected anything yet.

Stay tuned.

Of course if anyone else does it successfully in the meantime feel free to write the article.

kross
20th Jun 2005, 01:32 PM
UPDATE:

None of my shrimplet made it. :(
I think the adjustment of salinity is very critical....
Oh well, will try again if got another pregnant rednose. :)

BlueEL
20th Jun 2005, 01:55 PM
Sorry to hear the loss. How did they died, turned white or just disappear?
Dont give up try it again! :D

GunmetalBlue
22nd Jun 2005, 02:57 AM
Aww, sorry things didn't work out this time around, Kross. You're sure to improve with each try, and with about 7 females in your bunch, perhaps you'll get to try again soon! :)

-GB
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shrimpkeeping: At last, a hobby in which algae is not my worst enemy... http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~hps/clipart/Nature/tree4.gif

amber2461
22nd Jun 2005, 05:47 AM
Sorry about your loss Kross but yes, they will spawn again and I am sure the next time round, you will improve on what you learned this time round.

kross
22nd Jun 2005, 08:17 PM
Thx guys...and guess what??? Got another pregnant rednose!!! :happy: :sunny: experiment time..... :book2:
eh...gotta wait another 20 odd days.... :p

amber2461
22nd Jun 2005, 11:44 PM
Congratulations!

silane
24th Jun 2005, 02:43 AM
Thx guys...and guess what??? Got another pregnant rednose!!! :happy: :sunny: experiment time..... :book2:
eh...gotta wait another 20 odd days.... :p

Kross,

What was the procedure you used?

Hope to see you succeed this time round. :)

shaman
13th Aug 2005, 02:29 AM
I got some red-nose babies inside brackish water..
just wonder if the moss will die inside the water?
Thanks!

kross
15th Aug 2005, 11:16 PM
I got some red-nose babies inside brackish water..
just wonder if the moss will die inside the water?
Thanks!

Congrats! And yes, it moss will die....slowly. :p

kross
15th Aug 2005, 11:27 PM
Hi guys, thanks for all the tips and encouragement given but I'm afraid I'll have to put the rednose breeding program on hold due to space constraint and hassle of water "transformation". :juggle: I will definitely try again the next time round when I move to a bigger house later this year! :wink: More space!! :smug:

In the mean time, keep shrimping!! :D

shaman
16th Aug 2005, 10:42 AM
Congrats! And yes, it moss will die....slowly. :p

Could anyone suggest how to breed them in a tank with salt water?
they dont have anything to cling on? what does those babies eat?
I lost all the babies i think...

do they need to start with freshwater when the hatch... then slowly up the salinity?

Walter
16th Aug 2005, 11:17 PM
Shrimps prefer to have things like driftwood to cling on to, I think the babies feed on micro organisms. I guess you need greenwater. No idea how to raise the shrimplets though, hope you succeed one day! :D

mourekmourek
21st Jun 2010, 03:20 AM
Sorry for opening again this thema, it looks that some blocked items as PM or not ? What time takes carrying eggs by female ? 40 days ?