PDA

View Full Version : A Great Crystal Red Shrimp Tank snail

altoids
10th May 2008, 07:10 AM
i am looking for a great snail for my crs tank.
also i want one that wont plague my tank

its job will be to simply eat some algae and clean my plants.
(i dont like mystery snails)

whats some good/bad things about ramshorn snail and a Asolene Spixis snail... they look nice:)

thx

redcaptrio
10th May 2008, 02:26 PM
i suggest you get nerites if they are available to you.. only problem is they come out of the tank if your water conditions are not right.. they are great algae eaters and does not eat plants, nor will they breed in captivity.. you can google them for more info.

ADA
4th Oct 2011, 11:43 AM
Rabbit Snail! (aka Tylo)

Kevyn
4th Oct 2011, 12:07 PM
ramshorn snail or horn snail they do not eat plants, or disturb ur shrimps and they are great algae eaters!

marimo
7th Oct 2011, 10:59 AM
Your answer will be nerite horn snail/orange track
they do not mulitply in fresh water and they dont eat live plants, they clear algae fast

Ramshorn is a good cleaner of food/algae but it multiplies very fast, as much as pond's snail, if you can control them, they are beautiful snails

Asolene Spixis is a kind of apple snail, it breeds in fresh water too, the offspring eats plants too

Rabbit Snail! (aka Tylo) - is a sulawesi snail , they cannot be mix with CRS (acidic water)

So usually CRS will have nerite and ram horn as tank mates.

ADA
7th Oct 2011, 11:54 AM
I have Tylos with my CRS. Marimo is right though, it's not ideal for them to be in acidic water. One thing to be aware of, with nerites, is that they sometimes lay little white eggs everywhere, which stick to rocks, wood, glass and plants and is very hard to remove. It can be unsightly and annoying.

lingistis
7th Oct 2011, 04:00 PM
Tylos need wormer water than CRS do...

I would go with ram horn since I dont like the nerite eggs all over the tank.

Soothing Shrimp
7th Oct 2011, 11:15 PM
If mystery snails lay clutches for you, it is above the water line and then you can just remove them and throw them out. Plus, many people have the misconception that they eat live plants. Mystery snails only eat soft dead decaying plants and algae. At least mine do, and leave the live plants alone.