PDA

View Full Version : Filter question for CRS tank

alexy08dor
5th May 2008, 01:33 AM
Hi!

I am planning to set up my first CRS tank. Which Eheim filter should I get for my 18 gal tank? Eheim filter 2213, 2215 or 2217 ???

Is it better for shrimp tank if I get a bigger filter? Thanks!!!

FelixSu
7th May 2008, 01:12 AM
a bigger filter is always good - thus increasing water volume and water circulation.

but bear in mind the turbulance it may cause. may stir up too much debris and even shrimp may have a hard time clinging on.

Frank
7th May 2008, 04:08 AM
That depends on how many you feed.
Generally bigger is better.
The outflow can be curbed.
http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key=liniendetail_27655_ehen
I have EHEIM professionel II filters and the outflow is adjustable without add-on parts.
http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key=liniendetail_27548_ehen

TitoC
7th May 2008, 07:42 AM
Yes, it depends on how much shrimp you plan to keep in there.

I have a Eheim 2213 on a 60 liter tank with +- 100 Crs giving very good results.

Just remember to start with some filter material from another cycled filter and to cover the inlet with a sponge if you don't want to get any shrimplets sucked in. And then rinse this sponge every now and then.

stacey2904
12th Aug 2008, 10:59 PM
Hi,

Any pictures of the filter material that you are using. I have lost a lot of shrimplets to my submerged filter which I am already covering with a panty hose. They still get sucked onto the filter and eventually die on the cloth due to starvation i think.

I have tried using sponge filter but find the filter too inefficient for my 2ft tank.

jojo
13th Aug 2008, 12:42 PM
Hi,

Any pictures of the filter material that you are using. I have lost a lot of shrimplets to my submerged filter which I am already covering with a panty hose. They still get sucked onto the filter and eventually die on the cloth due to starvation i think.

I have tried using sponge filter but find the filter too inefficient for my 2ft tank.

Hi
I also using sponge filter for my 2ft tank with about 40 shrimps. They are doing ok so far for 1 months. Will like to know at what stage you know that the sponge filter is inefficient?:undecided
In fact I also considering to get another external filter as I have read from some Japan shrimp keeper book that they always used two external filters for 2ft tank to keep the water stable.:)

jojo
13th Aug 2008, 03:13 PM
By the way, I would like to know if the carbon filter pad need to include in the external canister filter? Can someone share their experience?;)

thanks

TitoC
13th Aug 2008, 08:45 PM
Any pictures of the filter material that you are using.

Canister filter with the standard blue circle pads + 1 white fine sponge as the last. Some fine filter material wrapped on the inlet to keep shrimplets out.

I have lost a lot of shrimplets to my submerged filter which I am already covering with a panty hose. They still get sucked onto the filter and eventually die on the cloth due to starvation i think.

This does not sound normal. Even small shrimp can walk in strong currents. They come to forage on the material held by the nylon. Either the flow of your filter is enormous / concentrated in 1 small spot, or I would suspect the shrimplets are dying because of something else and they end up at the inlet.

TitoC
13th Aug 2008, 08:51 PM
By the way, I would like to know if the carbon filter pad need to include in the external canister filter?

No need. If it makes you sleep better at night, go ahead. Carbon will catch heavy metals and certain products which yes, can be harmfull for the shrimp (methylene blue etc.) The thing is however, the carbon will get saturated, so you'll have to replace it. But there is no good way to tell when it is saturated. And if there are toxic levels of heavy metals in the water you put into the tank, I would advice to not keep an aquarium.

My point is: if you need active carbon, you either add medicines or other products, or the water is no good to begin with.

stacey2904
13th Aug 2008, 10:01 PM
This does not sound normal. Even small shrimp can walk in strong currents. They come to forage on the material held by the nylon. Either the flow of your filter is enormous / concentrated in 1 small spot, or I would suspect the shrimplets are dying because of something else and they end up at the inlet.

I managed to save some shrimplets and put them in a tube with the two ends covered with nylon cloth so that they don't get sucked into the filter. So far they are happily eating and swimming so I don't think the problem is with the water. Am looking for Eden 501 canister filter so hopefully no such problems from now on. =)

stacey2904
13th Aug 2008, 10:08 PM
Hi
I also using sponge filter for my 2ft tank with about 40 shrimps. They are doing ok so far for 1 months. Will like to know at what stage you know that the sponge filter is inefficient?:undecided

I see debris floating in the water. hahahha.... especially the leaves that have fallen off the plants.

jojo
14th Aug 2008, 10:11 AM
No need. If it makes you sleep better at night, go ahead. Carbon will catch heavy metals and certain products which yes, can be harmfull for the shrimp (methylene blue etc.) The thing is however, the carbon will get saturated, so you'll have to replace it. But there is no good way to tell when it is saturated. And if there are toxic levels of heavy metals in the water you put into the tank, I would advice to not keep an aquarium.

My point is: if you need active carbon, you either add medicines or other products, or the water is no good to begin with.

Thanks TiitoC

jojo
22nd Aug 2008, 05:11 PM
Yes, it depends on how much shrimp you plan to keep in there.

I have a Eheim 2213 on a 60 liter tank with +- 100 Crs giving very good results.

Just remember to start with some filter material from another cycled filter and to cover the inlet with a sponge if you don't want to get any shrimplets sucked in. And then rinse this sponge every now and then.
Hi TitoC
I have just bought Eheim 2213 but cant find a sponge filter that fix into the inlet. Is the sponge filter under Eheim brand? Can I used the white pad or the blue pad to tie around the inlet?:huh:
Sorry if I ask simple question as I am very new into shrimp keeping. A picture showing your setup will be great.:cool:
thanks

Ziggum
28th Aug 2008, 01:15 PM
Don't know if you found a solution yet but the sponges are usually easy to find , even if you have to buy a whole sponge filter for it (bit more expenisve but better than losin babies :) )

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/397/sefl60ak0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

should look like that , then depends on your filter , if it has small intake then you can put right over the normal intake , if it's for example like my eheim wich had really large intake i had to take that part of the intake and simply plug it to the tube

like :

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5701/eharks1216ly7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Hope it helped

Cheers

jojo
28th Aug 2008, 01:27 PM
thank ziggum
After trying different sponge size:undecided, I have managed to get a small sponge filter that fit with the 2213 inlet with the help of the extra pipe. As I am using another air pump sponge(big one), the shrimplets can pick their food from here rather than the new small sponge.:D

Ziggum
28th Aug 2008, 01:28 PM
Good to hear that you solved your problems :)

Cheers