PDA

View Full Version : Keeping them IN the tank....

azfish1
17th May 2005, 09:35 AM
So how do you keep these guys from going out adventuring? Or better yet WHY do they do it? I have a mess of cherries in my 50 planted tank. They reproduce regularly and there are always 20 or so visible at any time. Every weekend when I do some house cleaning I find a few on the floor around the tank. Dead and dried of course. I have a glass top on the tank and have every possible area closed off and the opening for the canister filter and heater cord is duct taped to be sure its sealed. I see these photos of amano tanks containing shrimp that are completely open toppped! What is the dealio?

Thanks in advance for any insight

Lotus
17th May 2005, 12:59 PM
Do you have fish in there too? What are your water parameters?

The last time I saw shrimp jump out of a tank was when an angelfish was chasing a ghost shrimp :(

retardo
17th May 2005, 01:39 PM
They don't like dirty water either. If conditions are not optimum (e.g. dirty or not enough oxygen), they will try and find an escape route. I always know to change the water when they start doing this in a shrimp only tank. The only thing I have going into the tank and perhaps their only way to escape is the airline tube that drives the sponge filter. To date, I have not had any escapees. I do tend to keep the water level at least an inch below the top so they have little to no chance of escape.

Walter
17th May 2005, 10:13 PM
This question have beem discussed before, and ya the shrimps can climb their way out through air line tubes as well. As you said, your shrimps are breeding alot, perhaps they try to escape due to low oxygen content, you may want to try increasing aeration. :)

Anyway as posted last time on the other thread, one of the ways to see if water is sufficiently aerated is through whether your shrimps swim near the water surface regularly or not. If so it is probably bad water or poorly aerated. :)

azfish1
18th May 2005, 12:34 AM
Thanks for all the responses! Sorry I didnt find the previous thread on this subjet and I appreciate those that have taken the time to respond.

Water conditions are
pH 6.8
kh 5
gh 5
temp 78f

Tons of o2 in the tank. I know this because the plants pearl like mad and my reactor fills with o2 1/2 way through the photo period. Water is o2 saturated.
I do large weekly water changes too. 50-75% None swim near the surface at all and are not timid in any way. I have some Zebra Danios in there too but I have not seen any interaction between the shrimp and the fish. Sometimes I will see one or two shrimp hanging out on the filter tubes near the top. Other than that I am at a loss........

silane
18th May 2005, 09:55 AM
Tons of o2 in the tank. I know this because the plants pearl like mad and my reactor fills with o2 1/2 way through the photo period. Water is o2 saturated.

Hey,

I don't get this part. Reactor filled with O2?

simcb
18th May 2005, 10:21 AM
Zerba Danios are aggressive like guppies they will take a bite at anything when they are hungry. They might be the cause of why the shrimps are so stress.

gigahertz
18th May 2005, 11:13 AM
Hey,

I don't get this part. Reactor filled with O2?

I get that too. When you have a CO2 reactor being fed with a powerhead you will get O2 accumulation during the later part of the lighted period. It is due to O2 saturation in the water and the O2 coming out of solution inside the reactor due to the turbance caused by the power head.

I get that every day and ususaly the collected O2 is gone by morning.

silane
19th May 2005, 12:32 AM
I get that too. When you have a CO2 reactor being fed with a powerhead you will get O2 accumulation during the later part of the lighted period. It is due to O2 saturation in the water and the O2 coming out of solution inside the reactor due to the turbance caused by the power head.

I get that every day and ususaly the collected O2 is gone by morning.

Hmm... I alway thought it is more of CO2 as it cannot dissolve fast enough as CO2 is saturating in the water. Ok, that my guess. :p

gigahertz
19th May 2005, 01:45 AM
Hmm... I alway thought it is more of CO2 as it cannot dissolve fast enough as CO2 is saturating in the water. Ok, that my guess. :p

That's what I thought at first glance but after further observations and test I concluded that it's was in fact O2 that is collecting in the reactor and not CO2.

What I observed was that the gas accumulates in the reactor only during the day reaching the maximum level in the evening before the lights go out and completely dissipating by the next morning. During the day my plants are all pearling like mad so the O2 level in my tank is at saturation which makes O2 the most abundant gas in the water and also the most likely to come out of solution when the water is agitated.

To confirm my theory I did the following test one evening when the amount of trapped gas in the reactor is at the max. I released the trapped gas in my reactor and then I opened up fully the needle valve on my CO2 regulator. I closed off the valve after at least 3 inches of CO2 is collected in my reactor. Just as expected the trapped CO2 completely dissolved into the water within 15 to 20 seconds which confirms my theory that the trapped gas inside my reactor could not be CO2.

Does this convince you guys or if there are other theories out there on this?

simcb
19th May 2005, 09:32 AM
So how do you keep these guys from going out adventuring? Or better yet WHY do they do it? I have a mess of cherries in my 50 planted tank. They reproduce regularly and there are always 20 or so visible at any time. Every weekend when I do some house cleaning I find a few on the floor around the tank. Dead and dried of course. I have a glass top on the tank and have every possible area closed off and the opening for the canister filter and heater cord is duct taped to be sure its sealed. I see these photos of amano tanks containing shrimp that are completely open toppped! What is the dealio?

Thanks in advance for any insight

Hi azfish1,

Test your tank for the NO2(nitrites), i suspect its climbing. My amano went crazy when NO2 is more than zero, i am not using a ext canister for my 1ft and the tank setup is quite new so i suspect you might be facing the same problem as me.