PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Experts - Any ideas?

Lobsterman
15th May 2005, 10:35 PM
I have a 3ft planted tank. So what happened, was that I gotten some new plants and shrimps, and proceeded to plant them. The shrimps were slowly acclimatised and released into the tank much later. They were Cheeries btw.

The next day, I found dead cherries, and also a dead tiger and some dead yamatoes. Was really wondering what could have went wrong. Could any plants had caused this? The shrimps that were initially in the tank were doing well and breeding, so I am rather surprised.

Any ideas? :undecided

silane
15th May 2005, 11:01 PM
Did you do anything to the plant before putting into the tank?

It could be due to pesticide that plant farmer use.

Lobsterman
16th May 2005, 12:18 AM
Did you do anything to the plant before putting into the tank?

It could be due to pesticide that plant farmer use.

Geeze, now that you said it, I realized that I didn't do anything much except for washing over the tap. :(

Tassle
16th May 2005, 01:10 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss, Lobsterman. :( Sounds like a tough one, being that it happened so quickly. Were water parameters tested recently? How are the remaining shrimp behaving?

I only wash my plants under tap water also. I've never had a problem with deaths after introducing these plants. If the problem stems from a pesticide, it seems that the surviving shrimp would be showing signs of stress or illness as well. I can't think of any disease that would progress from contraction to death within 24 hours, so I think it's safe to rule that out.

gnome
16th May 2005, 02:34 AM
Sorry to hear. Almost the exact same thing happened to me over two years ago. I bought some cherry reds and a very big piece of Lobelia cardinalis 'small form.' Much of the Lobelia was still in the emersed form. I planted it, released the cherry red shrimp, and in the next two days, I lost all of the cherry reds and two of my three old Yamato shrimp. If it was just the cherry reds, I might have thought that it was weak stock or my acclimatization procedure, but since my Yamatos were also affected, I knew it was something newly-introduced. Emersed-grown plants are sometimes treated with pesticides and even Amano-san warns against adding new emersed plants into tanks with shrimp (mainly if you don't know how or where it was grown). Probably remove the plants, do some hefty water changes, and use activated carbon in your filter for a while. Also, if you happen to have another tank in which you did not add any of these new plants, you might consider moving the shrimp.

What a bummer. Don't be too discouraged. It could happen to anyone. :(

-Naomi

Lobsterman
16th May 2005, 03:39 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss, Lobsterman. :( Sounds like a tough one, being that it happened so quickly. Were water parameters tested recently? How are the remaining shrimp behaving?

I only wash my plants under tap water also. I've never had a problem with deaths after introducing these plants. If the problem stems from a pesticide, it seems that the surviving shrimp would be showing signs of stress or illness as well. I can't think of any disease that would progress from contraction to death within 24 hours, so I think it's safe to rule that out.

Things are not looking too good for the remaining shrimps. Had tried removing them to a smaller tank temporarily. Seen them crowding together. Not a good sign, when I am not even feeding them. Now nursery tank had become hospital tank. :embarasse

Lobsterman
16th May 2005, 03:41 AM
Sorry to hear. Almost the exact same thing happened to me over two years ago. I bought some cherry reds and a very big piece of Lobelia cardinalis 'small form.' Much of the Lobelia was still in the emersed form. I planted it, released the cherry red shrimp, and in the next two days, I lost all of the cherry reds and two of my three old Yamato shrimp. If it was just the cherry reds, I might have thought that it was weak stock or my acclimatization procedure, but since my Yamatos were also affected, I knew it was something newly-introduced. Emersed-grown plants are sometimes treated with pesticides and even Amano-san warns against adding new emersed plants into tanks with shrimp (mainly if you don't know how or where it was grown). Probably remove the plants, do some hefty water changes, and use activated carbon in your filter for a while. Also, if you happen to have another tank in which you did not add any of these new plants, you might consider moving the shrimp.

What a bummer. Don't be too discouraged. It could happen to anyone. :(

-Naomi

Hi Naomi,

I hope I could have done better. Sigh... Like you said, if it was the newly released shrimps, it could jolly well be my mistake in not acclimatizing them but my older inhabitants were dying too... Gotta give myself a break for a while and see how things go from here... :)

jojoecute
16th May 2005, 06:11 PM
Wooo sad to hear that.
Well sometime is really hard to explain why shrimps dies.

Mine tank is mature enough but there are still dead shrimp once a while too.
Keep it up, keeping shrimp is really very chanllenging, don't give up.

Lobsterman
16th May 2005, 11:09 PM
Wooo sad to hear that.
Well sometime is really hard to explain why shrimps dies.

Mine tank is mature enough but there are still dead shrimp once a while too.
Keep it up, keeping shrimp is really very chanllenging, don't give up.

Didn't really give up.... in fact, just grabbed another 8 shrimps from LFS! :joking: But keeping them in a different tank now... :undecided