PDA

View Full Version : Calcium problem

AlexMC
5th Mar 2008, 12:12 AM
Hi,

The snails in my aquariums, after a short time, start to gain white lines in the shell and then die.

The problem was identified as lack of calcium.

The question is, how can I avoid this problem, increasing the water calcium without affecting other water parameters?

Mazter
5th Mar 2008, 12:59 AM
You can use calcium salt or liquid calcium. This will make the water harder and more suitable for the snails, and it will not change any other water parameters. In Norway we have somethine called GH-salt, but I dont know if you can get this under the same name other places. snailshop.co.uk has liquid calcium for the same use, they should ship to Portugal I assume.

Mazter
5th Mar 2008, 01:03 AM
Here's the link for the liquid calcium: http://www.snailshop.co.uk/p/306367/snailstrong-liquid-calcium-.html

And here is the salt I use for my applesnails and guppies. All info in norwegian though, but maybe you can find something of the same. http://www.webzoo.no/site/maler/x/?case_vis=visprodukt&kategoriID=113&produktid=1880&Navn=03.%20Senking%20av%20pH%20&%20DH&HKatID=32

silane
5th Mar 2008, 01:20 AM
Hi,

The snails in my aquariums, after a short time, start to gain white lines in the shell and then die.

The question is, how can I avoid this problem, increasing the water calcium without affecting other water parameters?

You may want to use Mosura Mineral Plus, this product increase GH with other minerals, it does not affect kh/pH.

absinthe_fi
5th Mar 2008, 02:51 AM
You may want to use Mosura Mineral Plus, this product increase GH with other minerals, it does not affect kh/pH.

what online shops sell this though? I tried to contact assaaqua a couple of times and never received a message back...

Mazter
5th Mar 2008, 04:34 AM
The GH salt I use will not change any other water parameters either, and afaik, neither will the liquid calcium. So I'm pretty sure you should be able to find one of these in a webshop that ships to you or in your local petshop.

lippydippy
5th Mar 2008, 08:17 AM
what about using a calcium pill? like grounding it up or just letting it sit in there.

turtles808
25th Apr 2008, 01:37 PM
Couple questions:
Do the snails absorb the calcium or eat it?
I have a bunch of calcium additives for my coral tank, will this work?
What level of calcium is recommended?

fishgeek
25th Apr 2008, 02:02 PM
i use ground egg shell, after eating boiled egg

shrimp swarm it not sure what the snals would think , it is an easy option to try

milt
25th Apr 2008, 02:26 PM
Hi,

Can you define "short time" ? Does anyone know the lifespan of snails in general? I notice my snails to slowly start getting white lines as they get older like after a few months and then they die. Could it really be calcium deficiency or just plain old age? Anyway I don't really want to correct the problem as the snails are reproducing and there's always a healthy population of lineless, beautiful young ones around...... :)

TitoC
25th Apr 2008, 10:40 PM
hey hey ho ho! >(

Alex, measure and tell us the GH of the water first.

Because like this I find we go over the identification of the problem a bit lightly...

AlexMC
28th Apr 2008, 04:53 PM
Ok, I need to get a new GH test first and then I will post the values.

About the snail age, I dont know the snail life span but they are dying before reaching adult size, that's how I know there is a problem.

turtles808
14th May 2008, 12:20 PM
i use ground egg shell, after eating boiled egg

shrimp swarm it not sure what the snals would think , it is an easy option to try

I tried the egg shell thing and my shrimp and snails are barely touching it.
Does it have to be boiled because my egg shells are from raw eggs?

gnome
24th Jul 2008, 02:49 PM
To keep my rams horn snails' shells from getting etched, I feed them Hikari Tropical Crab Cuisine. The water I get has high pH but is VERY soft.

-Naomi

fishgeek
24th Jul 2008, 08:37 PM
no idea on whther the shell needs cooking, it isnt going to change the mineral content

my shrimp are always hungry because they only get plants to graze on and occasional left over live foods from cory in with them

i use a mortar and pestle to grind, maybe the shrimp are attracted by the egg membrane? or maybe the small pieces of egg that are left attached to shell when i have eaten

i cannot answer more specifically

andrew

silane
25th Jul 2008, 02:57 AM

To make them eat, you have to powder the egg shells and mix with food they like.

chinzw
27th Oct 2008, 08:18 PM
To make them eat, you have to powder the egg shells and mix with food they like.

Saw this thread and about the calcium gained from egg shells. Does it help? Wondering whether do shrimps really eats the powdered egg shells.

-chin