PDA

View Full Version : Dennerle S7 and Shrimp? Bad Idea?

sithspawn
4th Mar 2008, 01:56 PM
Is dennerle S7 shrimp-safe?

After a 10% water change i put in the recommended dosage in my 1.5ft tank. I went out in the afternoon and when I came back at night, 99% of my shrimp were dead. There are still a few running around but my zebra otos were not affected.

I did wash my hands with a chemical-smelling handwash before that and had to stick my CO2 diffusor porperly for a few seconds in the tank. Other than that there were no other causes for such a horrible wipe-out.

I've lost crystal red and black shrimp, neon greens, sakuras ninjas, cherries and some filter feeders.

:furious2:

I'd like to confirm if it's because of the S7 or some other factors.
BTW is Seachem garlic guard shrimp-safe as well?

Thanks to anyone who can advise.

sithspawn
5th Mar 2008, 10:46 AM
Anyone got any advice?

Repz
5th Mar 2008, 12:57 PM
it depends what chemicals Dennerle S7 contains in it.
Copper is a major killer of shrimps
so it could have small amounts of copper in it .

silane
5th Mar 2008, 09:05 PM
I used to put S7, I didnt experience major death, for 1 thing I can remember is, I usualy use 25% of the dosage.

sithspawn, what was your pH and temperature?

Frank
6th Mar 2008, 02:01 AM
I use it in my fish tanks only.
Amano and Atyopsis have no problems with this.

sithspawn
9th Mar 2008, 12:11 PM
I used to put S7, I didnt experience major death, for 1 thing I can remember is, I usualy use 25% of the dosage.

sithspawn, what was your pH and temperature?

The PH and Temp were not ideal since I couldn't get my CO2 online yet. Temp was some where around 26C to 27C and PH was around 7.2 - 7.5.

I had a few casualties along the way with my lot of about 100+ shrimp I put in but they were doing fine for 3 weeks. This lot of 100 shrimp consisting of greens, cherries, black and red crystals were bought from someone rescaping his tank. Got the lot very cheap.

I suspect now it was overdose since I used the recommended dosage and there aren't enough plants/moss in this too-small tank. I've used sera fishtamin previously for all my fish/shrimp.