i need help how to lower it down!
theres shrimp in it

Repz
18th Feb 2008, 08:17 PM
you need some co2 or peat to lower that ph
or new substrate

shiro
18th Feb 2008, 09:37 PM
What soil are you using? This is one VERY important thing.
What media did you put inside the canister filter ?

MartialTheory
19th Feb 2008, 12:07 AM
You can put peat in the filter.

But another thing is that wats the pH of the tap water that sits overnight. The reason for overnighting it is that theres chloride ions that raises the pH and such.

Frank
19th Feb 2008, 01:00 AM
Donīt bring down the ph too radical.
The shrimps need time to acclimate.

You should also check your ph-tester.
They are not very exact in many cases.

Shrimpin'Ain'tEZ
19th Feb 2008, 01:49 PM
Are you using Eco-complete?

silane
19th Feb 2008, 06:00 PM
Check if you pH meter is working accurately too.

Redza
19th Feb 2008, 06:21 PM
yeah the ph meter is working well,
im using some kind of black gravel,
no brand on the bag, just plain bag,

i have some some things that look like white pipes cut in to 1 inch,
hmm, its small, so i guess thats it.

i cant find peat at any petstores,
any other options?

cturner
19th Feb 2008, 10:54 PM
check for peat in a local garden supply store or craft store.

MartialTheory
20th Feb 2008, 11:49 AM
some people add leaves to their tanks. that also brings down the ph. like oak leaves and such. I would post a link but i'm a new member. i wish they would remove that rule.

nandu
20th Feb 2008, 02:06 PM
Hi

yes, you can bring down the pH by adding dried almond leaves , but the tanins released will colour the water slightly to brownish, but its fish/shrimp safe.
But you can also try frequent waterchanges to bring the pH down.

Nandu

Redza
20th Feb 2008, 04:34 PM
YEAHH!!! I brough it down to ph 8.0.
Because my tap water was neutral,
I think i should carry out water changes.

Kenshin
20th Feb 2008, 09:13 PM
I believe it is your gravel making the pH so high. Maybe the gravel is made up of mostly calcium carbonate, so it would lead to a high pH.

Shrimpin'Ain'tEZ
21st Feb 2008, 12:37 PM
Hello,

I have been in your situation before, but received very little useful tips on this matter (doesn't happen to many people on this forum, I guess). I was using Eco-complete in my 75 gallon tank and it is known to have a lot of calcium and magnesium in it.

Adjusting the pH without adjusting your GH is a lost cause! Fix your GH first!

I don't know exactly what kind of substrate you are using? What type of fish was on the bag, if its a african cichlid you in trouble, hehe!

Have you tested the GH of your tap water and GH of your tank's water to see what is the source of hardness? If you haven't you need to do this so you can ID the source of Hardness (GH) which causes the water to be buffed at around pH 8.

If the tap water is hard you are in luck. Since you can mix with RO or you can use the peat and almond leaves method to lower the GH.

If the tank water is hard that means something in your tank is making it hard. You can either take out the shrimp and and use a more shrimp suitable substrate (make sure to transfer the biological filtration). Another possiblity is to remove the Ca and Mg ions in the substrate, below is a preview of my experiment.

My experience:

I've tried almond leaves and peat moss and the only result is brown water, but the pH did not change was still very high after using this method. If the problem is caused by your substrate don't take the same route unless you enjoy the brown water (I still see a brownish tint in my water). Carbon will remove the color eventually, but my water was really brown (can you imagine how much leaves and peat I used).

My experiment:

I am currently conducting an experiment with Rena's XP Softening pillow in my Fluval 305. I've tried to find information to see if Na ions are harmful to the shrimp, but found nothing of the sort. Nothing that says Na ions are harmful to fish (my cpd are breeding in the tank). However there was speculation that it is harmful to plants, but thats about it! So I decide to try the softening pillows.

The softening pillows reduced my GH from 14-15 to 7-8 after three recharges of the resin. I am hoping that one more recharge and I will hit my target of 4-5.

So far I do not see anything abnormal with my CRS; and the shrimplets are doing fine (A & S grade). I will update my results soon and let everyone know my results soon.

Hope this helps...

milt
21st Feb 2008, 01:18 PM
Hi Redza, whats the parameters of your tap water? In south east asia we are usually bless with slightly acidic to neutral soft water unless your public waterworks does something dasrtic to your water before if reaches you. If your tap water is okay, then it is something in your tank that is causing the problem and that will either be the gravel or the filter material..... The easiest solution will be to change the thing is causing the problem so that your future maintenace and changing water of your tank will be a breeze..... My tap water and aquarium tank water has the same parameters and so the shrimps are not stressed each time I change the water..... hope this helps.....

Redza
23rd Feb 2008, 09:23 PM
uhh 7.5??
i guess

i dont have a gh thingy testing thing

ill find on