PDA

View Full Version : Cryptocoryne and Anubias bad for shrimp?

Lotus
8th May 2005, 12:54 PM
I've read vague references to Anubias and Cryptocoryne species being poisonous or unhealthy for shrimp.

Does anyone have any experience or explanation on whether this is true or not?

retardo
8th May 2005, 01:39 PM
I've read the same thing, but I have a crypt spiralis in one of my tanks, some of it rotting and some of it new growth. Grows perfectly fine, and it doesn't seem to bother any of the shrimp. I haven't seen any of them nibbling on it... I think it may just be rumor, at least, until someone does an experiment testing its validity.

Robert
8th May 2005, 07:07 PM
Hi,
i keep and breed shrimps for years now and almost all the time there were and are cryptos and Anubias in my tank. I couldn't see any bad effect until now, although I also have shrimp breeding tanks without plants of these genuses as a comparison. In my opinion these plants have no effect on shrimps. I also heard that fresh cuttings of Anbubias should be harmful but did not make this experience myself. I noticed no bad effects after cutting my too large Anubias into smaller pieces.

Best regards

Robert

shalu
14th May 2005, 05:50 AM
I have many anubias in the shrimp tank. Shrimps keep the anubias leaves very clean.

gnome
14th May 2005, 08:56 AM
I have heard of *people* having skin reactions from cutting an Anubias rhizome in the tank, and I can't remember the name of the chemical compound that causes this, but I have not yet heard of it harming fish or shrimp. I have never heard of crypts being a problem (except it being a terrible eyesore for the aquarist when it melts and disintegrates all over the tank ;) ).

-Naomi

shalu
14th May 2005, 09:12 AM
crypt melt is only excusable during the initial stage after transplant. It reflects badly on the skills of the aquarist after that, hehehe.

Lotus
14th May 2005, 11:01 AM
My crypts are definitely thriving in that tank, I think I have about 5 or 6 different varieties :) I really like my crypts, but I would have to move them if I thought it was harming the shrimp. I have noticed the shrimp tend to hang out on other plants in the tank more than the crypts, though. They seem to really like the hornwort and najas guadalupensis. :D

NULL
13th Jul 2006, 08:47 AM
I have a thing for laceplants (Aponogeton madagascariénsis).
- Have anyone heard of problems with shrimps together with laceplants?

gnome
13th Jul 2006, 09:26 AM
Should be fine. The Madagascar lace plant can be somewhat particular about tank conditions, but shrimp will not be the cause of its demise (unless you're keeping prawns or something :shocked: ). Do remember that this plant can get HUGE, and if it grows out of the water, the shrimp *could* climb out on a leaf or flower stalk and jump. The same could be said for any large plant, however.

-Naomi

NULL
16th Jul 2006, 12:58 AM
Huge yeeees =) I stretch out my biggest leaf once, aprox. one meter long I quess.
Pictures from my 180L's.

NULL
24th Aug 2006, 11:57 AM
Update: I have managed to get seeds from one now. They are now appox. 4cm.

gnome
24th Aug 2006, 02:40 PM
That's great! I was able to propagate some hybrid Aponogeton species from the seeds that my original plants had sprouted, but they became too big for my 5-gallon tank lol .

Congratulations! Maybe you'll make some money from selling the baby lace plants :) .

-Naomi

Shadow
29th Aug 2006, 11:05 AM
I just put Anubias nana to my 1ft tank and all the shrimps swimming around like crazy for a while and then they stay far-far away from it, to the other side of the tank. However, I'm not sure if it is because of the Anubias or fertilizer used by the shop. I already soaked the plant in separate tank with daily water change for 4 days.

NULL
4th Sep 2006, 04:55 AM
...hybrid Aponogeton species...
I have heard(rumour?) that cultivators of Aponogeton madagascariénsis has been able to develop hybrids which doesn't need the dormant period...and when I look of pictures, the shape fluctuates a lot.

JBN
8th Sep 2006, 02:20 PM
I haven't tried Crypts yet but half of my 10 gallon is full of anubias and the RCS loves it :D

Sagittarius
2nd Jan 2007, 12:19 AM
Here is one of my cherries beside the anubius nana. Always rinse plants. If you do a water change use "PRIME Seachem" best product I've used so far with no death to my shrimp..... I wish I had of bought this product before!!! I guess you learn from bad experiences :rolleyes: lol