PDA

View Full Version : How do you get rid of bugs and worms in your shrimp tank?

simcb
5th May 2005, 10:09 AM
Hi all,

Do you guys have creepy bugs and crawlies in your shrimp tank?
I interested to find out how you guys managed to get rid of those bugs and worms in your shrimp tanks. Care to share some of your experiences? :rolleyes: Hopefully we can pool in our experiences and we can post an article on it for easy reference in the future if any of us were to ecounter such problems.

1. Planaria
2. Hydra
3. Leeches
4. rotifers and Nematodes

All ideas are welcome :D

BTW i post two articles in the library. In regards to the above issues. Please comment thanks. :D

Part I: Bugs and Worms ID Article (http://www.shrimpnow.com/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=33)

Part II: Bugs and Worms ID Article (http://www.shrimpnow.com/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=34)

silane
6th May 2005, 02:48 PM
Best is prevention, I use diluted household bleach 20:1 for 2 minutes, I don't have planeria and Nematodes. But still have rotifers.

simcb
6th May 2005, 05:17 PM
Best is prevention, I use diluted household bleach 20:1 for 2 minutes, I don't have planeria and Nematodes. But still have rotifers.

Your right fruitpie. Prevention is still the best. Bleach is stronger and have better chances of removing snail eggs. Its the dosage that scares me :D i dont know exactly how much to use some say 19:1, some say 15:1 and etc.

1 bleach and 20 water ? just to confrim :D
I start using Potassium Permanganate disinfectant bathes on my new 1ft tank. Looks good no algae and worms...rotifers still there like yours but the rofiters numbers seems to have reduced after I introduce 1 boraras brigittae.

Currently have no shrimps in it :rolleyes:

colourtv
1st Jun 2005, 11:45 AM
Hi,

Just want to share my experience with Daphinas in my shrimp tank. I used to have thousands of them in my 1.5ft CRS only tank. They are on the glass surface and below the surface of water, they are EVERYWHERE!!. So upon daily removable of "protein oil" film, I managed to get rid of hundreds. But still they keep comng back!. As a last resort, I added 2 baby patties inside my CRS only tank. Guess what? Affter about 2 days, they are no longer in sight! I not sure if they are being eaten by the fishes or gone into hiding. I suspect both. The important thing is they they have disappear almost overnight! Congrats to myself!

So I hope this method is useful to anyone with this irritating problem. I will remove the fishes as soon as m confident the daphinas are not coming back soon.

Colourtv

Lotus
1st Jun 2005, 12:21 PM
I got rid of hydra with red ramshorn snails.

I tried using hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) in a small dosing dropper, then sucking them up and removing them, but it took too long and it was hard to find all of them.

In general, I think trying not to feed too much helps a lot. I had a lot of planaria, but as my shrimp population grew, the shrimp ate more and the planaria started decreasing.

Robert
1st Jun 2005, 09:44 PM
Hi,
to feed less really helps to reduce the number of planaria but you won't get rid of them completely. To feed your shrimps mainly vegetarian food like cucumber slices, soft algae etc. also helps a bit. I tried both and now I have small more or less stable planaria population. Months ago I had thousands of them, now there are a few dozens or so.

Small pieces of raw meat should be a good bait for planaria. I didn't test it yet because I can live with them. But it should be worth an attempt because planaria are carnivorous and scavengers which mainly feed on dead flesh. Please note, it won't be possible to catch every planaria with this technique but is a chemical-free solution which may be helpful to reduce the number of them drastically.

Best regards

Robert

Newcastle
2nd Jun 2005, 08:47 AM
I too experience plenty of planaria and snails..

just wondering how I could rid the tank of them.

I too have live tubifex worms. this is because the tank was a baby betta community tank until it was converted.

was thinking of introducing boraras maculatas inside as they are very small fish. but I have had shrimplets inside and do not want to risk their safety.