PDA

View Full Version : Help with reducing GH (Alternatives to RODI)!!!

Shrimpin'Ain'tEZ
28th Jan 2008, 11:28 AM
I have a 75 gallon tank and my GH is at 15 and I would like to get it down, hopefully lower than 5. The KH is around 5.

I am currently injecting pressurize CO2 to get the pH down to about 6.8-7.0, but when the lights are off the pH shoots back up to almost 8.:x

Has anyone tried using oxalic acid to reduce GH? I kind of want to try it lol, but fear for my CRS lives :cry:. How much am I suppose to use with every 5 gallon bucket of water change (and is wood bleach from a hardware store safe)? Another thread in this forum said that oxalic acid my be harmful for CRS :undecided. I tried finding more info on the web, but not much info on using oxalic acid in shrimp tanks(or in fish tanks). :bs_help:

I am currently trying to use peat and Indian Almond Leaf to reduce the GH. Does anyone have another cheap method of reducing the GH other than RODI (too expensive):shocked:? I wish I didn't go with Ecocomplete as a substrate >(, but I've been using it for about a year now (do you think it's the water in San Francisco). :huh:

Any help would be appreciated!!! :joking:

Thanks in advance! :kiss:

Shrimpin'Ain'tEZ
28th Jan 2008, 10:19 PM
Anyone! Shrimp safe method of reducing GH, is oxalic acid okay?

It is not the tap water it's the substrate. How do I rid the substrate of all its Calcium and Magnesium ions? Should I stirup the water and siphon water from the bottom?

TitoC
29th Jan 2008, 05:58 PM
1) is there a real need to manipulate your GH or are your shrimp doing well?

2) the KH is directly responsible for the pH balance. GH is related to it, but just by the fact that C03 (KH) is often accompanying the Ca and Mg (GH)

this means that a low KH of 5 should allow you to manipulate the pH (as shown by your measurements)

the fact you lose the low pH so fast strongly indicates you have too strong aeration of the water, blowing all the C02 right out again. I'm guessing you have either the outlet of the filter stirring up the surface, or an airstone? By just eliminating these, you might already have a nicer C02 level in the tank, even without additional supply.

3) what is the hardness of the tap water?

4) If the water from the tap is about right, why fight your gravel? Just remove it, put inert gravel and replace the aquarium's water gradually with tap water... happy ever after...