PDA

View Full Version : Mother Tiger Knows Best

STL
5th May 2005, 08:21 AM
Here is a pregnant tiger shrimp getting her calcium supplement from a Hikari Crab Cuisine dinner...

http://tankyouverymuch.com/images/tigermommy2.jpg

simcb
5th May 2005, 10:11 AM
Here is a pregnant tiger shrimp getting her calcium supplement from a Hikari Crab Cuisine dinner...

http://tankyouverymuch.com/images/tigermommy.jpg

lol Congrats.... looks like the eggs are developing eye spots. :D

Are you keeping only tigers in your tank? Care to share your tank parameters?

:bs_offtop
So many different species of shrimps dont you want to own them all ? I dont know about you but i do:deal2:

STL
5th May 2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks...the tiger shrimp have their own 10 gallon tank. There is a small power filter with a sponge over the inlet. The tank contains a large amount of christmas moss and a little bit of riccia. I feed the tigers daily with Hikari Crab Cuisine and algae wafers alternating a type each day. I had my first batch of tiger babies about a month ago and there are at least two pregnant females in the tank at this time.

Walter
6th May 2005, 07:43 PM
hmmm... mind sharing some water parameters? Cause I realize tigers have high casualty rates. And to add on, you have a very nicely striped mother tiger there! :D

By the way simcb, why did you ask whether it's a tiger shrimp only tank? You noticed that tigers can't breed well with the presence of other shrimps?

retardo
7th May 2005, 04:30 AM
Tigers are one my favorite shrimps, and they are the only shrimp that I keep in a shrimp only tank, since they have the largest population. I keep a huge mass of java moss in there along with a java fern sp. windelov and some riccia floating on top. It is filtered by an air-driven sponge filter and has PC lighting, which I turn on ocassionally.. I don't know what the specific water parameters are, but they are sufficient to keep them alive and well (only one casualty so far). I have some test kits to test the water but I"m too lazy to do the tests. :p

Walter
7th May 2005, 03:49 PM
Haha I see, how about a rough estimation of the temperature of your tank?

simcb
7th May 2005, 05:42 PM

I think tigers need good water circulation. :D

Walter
7th May 2005, 08:15 PM
I think tigers need good water circulation. :D

oh I see. Does that indirectly means good aeration and very clean water? :)

simcb
7th May 2005, 09:00 PM
oh I see. Does that indirectly means good aeration and very clean water? :)

I guess water with no fertilization is good enough and lots of luck......there are also 101 unknown factors like driftwood leaking tannings, exposed base fertilizers, unstable PH and insecticide sprayed around tank area. I guess if you figured this out that would reduce the causalties.

In short, low maintance tank has lower risk. I guess retardo's tank is a good example :D

retardo
8th May 2005, 03:43 AM

Temp ranges from 68d F to 72d F depending on room temp. They don't have a problem with this range. I keep some in a heated tank at 78d F as well and those do fine. I change 25% of the water once a week. I will run some tests on water parameters and post when I get a chance.

One note about Walter's question about clean water. They definitely require it. My shrimp are "smart" in the sense that when the water gets dirty and is not to their liking, they start trying to find an escape route (this is a major indicator), usually where at the filter outflow (bubbles buoy them up toward the top of the tank). For this reason, I keep the tank at 90% full, so they can't truly escape.

I don't keep driftwood in the tank for fear of how they will react to the leeched tannins. Rocks for this same reason.

Walter
8th May 2005, 11:56 AM
Temp ranges from 68d F to 72d F depending on room temp. They don't have a problem with this range. I keep some in a heated tank at 78d F as well and those do fine. I change 25% of the water once a week. I will run some tests on water parameters and post when I get a chance.

One note about Walter's question about clean water. They definitely require it. My shrimp are "smart" in the sense that when the water gets dirty and is not to their liking, they start trying to find an escape route (this is a major indicator), usually where at the filter outflow (bubbles buoy them up toward the top of the tank). For this reason, I keep the tank at 90% full, so they can't truly escape.

I don't keep driftwood in the tank for fear of how they will react to the leeched tannins. Rocks for this same reason.

Oh I see, thanks for the information! :D