PDA

View Full Version : New Planted CRS tank with Riccia

rebbot
10th Jan 2008, 08:29 AM
Hi all,

I am thinking of setting up a new CRS tank with riccia. :D I have looked through most of the threads in this forums but there seem to be contradicting threads.

I understand for riccia to pearl, we require C02. However, I reckon that C02 is not good for CRS. Anyone has managed to grow riccia with C02 in a CRS tank?

Cheers!

Repz
10th Jan 2008, 08:42 AM
i have grown riccia with pressurised co2 in my 1 ft cube
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/deticulated/D1013.jpg

rebbot
10th Jan 2008, 03:53 PM
i have grown riccia with pressurised co2 in my 1 ft cube

Hi Repz,

Thank for your reply! :) Are the riccia pearling? Is it difficult to manage?

Cheers!

Repz
10th Jan 2008, 05:40 PM
Hi Repz,

Thank for your reply! :) Are the riccia pearling? Is it difficult to manage?

Cheers!

the riccia does pearl and offer a lot of oxygen in the tank. the growth is not too wild that its impossible to manage

rebbot
10th Jan 2008, 09:56 PM
the riccia does pearl and offer a lot of oxygen in the tank. the growth is not too wild that its impossible to manage

Thank you Repz! One last question, what is the rate that CO2 is being released into the tank?

Nice layout too~ :cool:

Repz
11th Jan 2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the compliment, i try to keep it at 2 bps during lighting times.

rebbot
11th Jan 2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the compliment, i try to keep it at 2 bps during lighting times.

Hmmm I see. I went to search for a CO2 starter kit yesterday and was advised to keep it to 0.5 bps for a 1 ft tank.

Repz
11th Jan 2008, 09:44 AM
mine seems to be okay, i think you should try at 0.5bps and see if you can increase it abit more later on if you wish.

Halibass
11th Jan 2008, 12:07 PM
mine seems to be okay, i think you should try at 0.5bps and see if you can increase it abit more later on if you wish.

How do the CRS do with that amount of CO2? If you use a drop checker, are you at about 30 ppm? Thanks.

rebbot
11th Jan 2008, 10:41 PM
Wonder if anyone has tried mini riccia as well? :) I just came across a batch today and wonder if they are as difficult to maintain.

kensk
12th Jan 2008, 12:32 AM
Wonder if anyone has tried mini riccia as well? :) I just came across a batch today and wonder if they are as difficult to maintain.

riccia is a difficult plant to maintain in the long run.
After 2-3 months it will come off from the tied-on surface due to bottom layer rotting caused by not getting enough light.
Then you will have to mess up the tank and re-tied everything again.

rebbot
12th Jan 2008, 01:11 PM
riccia is a difficult plant to maintain in the long run.
After 2-3 months it will come off from the tied-on surface due to bottom layer rotting caused by not getting enough light.
Then you will have to mess up the tank and re-tied everything again.

I know that. Thanks for your advice! However the end results are worth it~ :D

I am thinking of using a 2ft tank with 2x36w lights and pressurized co2 system. Wish me luck if I can get it moving before the Chinese New Year.

Repz
15th Jan 2008, 03:38 PM
How do the CRS do with that amount of CO2? If you use a drop checker, are you at about 30 ppm? Thanks.

to be honest i bought a drop checker but im not really sure how to use it?
so i havent touched it
the chemical stinks so bad lol

AquaVu
30th Jan 2008, 04:35 PM

I've seen photos of mini riccia carpets and they looked awesome. Much nicer than the regular riccia. Don't forget to post some photos when your riccia grows well. Good luck w/ it.