PDA

View Full Version : ID of this algae please

larlee
10th Jan 2008, 12:52 AM
I have just setup a 2ft tank for a month and found this on the plants. Can you help me identify this?

The pictures might not be very clear but this is the best I can get from my camera without flash.

My tank is currently housing these plants, are they enough?
Tank spec:
Tank: 60x36x36
Filter: Eheim Pro 2222 (for filter), Eden 501 (for bacteria)
Soil: GEX 8kg x 2
Lights: PL 55w (7-10am and 7pm to 12am)
CO2: 1 bubble every 4 sec with external reactor(too low?) Timing same as light
Ferts: stop dosing for 2 weeks now as it kills my shrimps
Temp: 25c with chiller
Fauna: 20 CRS, 2 oto, 4 horn snails
PH: 6.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

I have tried to increase CO2 to 1 bubble every 2 sec and PH drop to 6.0 so change back to 1 bubble every 4 sec

I would like to know what is this? is it algae? I also have hair algae on the moss. Do I do a blackout to get rid of them?

Please advice. Thanks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/larlee/IMG_0120_01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/larlee/IMG_0152_01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/larlee/IMG_0130_01.jpg

Shrimpin'Ain'tEZ
10th Jan 2008, 12:57 AM
looks like bba...

larlee
10th Jan 2008, 10:03 AM
Do I have enough plants in the tank? Add more? Increased CO2 output rate?

Xema
13th Jan 2008, 06:59 AM
That kind of red algae use to appear when Phosphate ratio is low in front of Nitrate and Potassium, in my experience.

Fish Newb
17th Jan 2008, 07:21 AM
looks like bba...

I agree!

Up your CO2;) and adding more plants always helps as well!

-Andrew

milt
17th Jan 2008, 01:44 PM
Looks like beard algae to me, if I remember correctly.....The leaf that has the algae looks really old, you can see the sides yellowing already.... Old leaves tend to grow algae too, it helps to trim them away.... Do you overfeed your shrimps? Overfeeding will cause algae bloom.

sub-80
25th Dec 2012, 03:37 AM
Looks like beard algae to me, if I remember correctly.....The leaf that has the algae looks really old, you can see the sides yellowing already.... Old leaves tend to grow algae too, it helps to trim them away.... Do you overfeed your shrimps? Overfeeding will cause algae bloom.

I completely agree with milt and if you lower the light duration that helps also

andrew5399
11th Feb 2013, 01:16 PM
Hello there,
I've algae or cup like floaty organism stuck on the aquarium wall (it's white in colour). It looks like an inverted cup and will close up when touched. It doesn't affect my shrimps and shrimpets though... Can anyone pls help to identify it? I can't find any descriptions via google. It's definitely not copepods.

hyoushoku
15th Feb 2013, 08:14 PM
Hello there,
I've algae or cup like floaty organism stuck on the aquarium wall (it's white in colour). It looks like an inverted cup and will close up when touched. It doesn't affect my shrimps and shrimpets though... Can anyone pls help to identify it? I can't find any descriptions via google. It's definitely not copepods.

Can you show us a picture of it please?

andrew5399
16th Feb 2013, 01:08 AM
Can you show us a picture of it please?

Hi there,
I've attached the pic here. Not sure if its clear enough.
Any idea?6997

hyoushoku
25th Feb 2013, 08:33 PM
Sorry, the pics are not clear. Which part is the algae?

The white dot on the glass? If yes, do you have any snails in your tank? Those white dots looks like organism colony or eggs cluster than algae.