PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Snails info request.

dwaffer
1st May 2005, 12:46 PM
I bought some zebra snails and now I'm intrested in breeding them.
Does anyone have any links to information on breeding this species?
Sorry I dont know the latin name yet.
I'm fairly sure they breed in brackish or marine water but I havent found much info on them yet. Are they good tankmates for my shrimp?

gigahertz
2nd May 2005, 08:02 AM
They are the perfect snail for a planted tank PERIOD! :)

They are by far the BEST BEST BEST algae eater I have tried so far. They clean the wall of my tank so well that I never have to clean it ever.

They will also climb on top of my plants and clean the leaves for me. They are 100% plant safe. I have had them for at least 4 years.

The only thing is that they will not breed in 100% fresh water environment. I have been wanting to breed them. One day I might get a glass tank ( I have all acrylic tanks ) and then leave it out so it gets partial sunlight to grow algae and use brackish water to see if I can have them make some babies.

Anyone have information on these snail's breeding environment?

Thx!

dwaffer
3rd May 2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks gigahertz!

It would be good to know how much salinity they can handle.
I think when I try to raise Caridina japonica larvae I will see if the zebra snails will reproduce. :cool:

BenjaminS
7th May 2005, 10:02 PM
Hi,
I also love those zebra nerites and I am currently trying to breed some. I have about 12 in a 30 gallon tank with some ghost shrimp. There are eggs everywhere but none have hatched as of yet. The water is brackish (salinity 1.014) and it looks as if some of the eggs are developing so I hope I have some babies soon!
One of the things I noticed about the snails is that they lay eggs according to the amount of food recieved. More food means more eggs! Speaking of food, my 30 gallon was full of algae and in a matter of weeks they ate almost all of it and are now running out. Has anyone tried feeding them anything else? I might try algae wafers but since they are so slow I wonder if they will they even find them... :undecided
Oh, i noticed that the males seem to be smaller than the females so if you want fertilized eggs be sure to get some smaller individuals as well just in case!
If anyone hears anything about these snails please feel free to add anything!
I'll post more info as time goes on.
Good luck!!

dwaffer
8th May 2005, 02:59 AM
Well thats a really good sign to have eggs Ben.
I hope all goes well and you get some babies.

Are you sure that about the males and females? I assumed they where like other snails that are both male and female but still need a pair to mutiply.
If they are single gender I'm in for a bigger challenge than expected.

gigahertz
8th May 2005, 04:45 AM
Hi,
I also love those zebra nerites and I am currently trying to breed some. I have about 12 in a 30 gallon tank with some ghost shrimp. There are eggs everywhere but none have hatched as of yet. The water is brackish (salinity 1.014) and it looks as if some of the eggs are developing so I hope I have some babies soon!
One of the things I noticed about the snails is that they lay eggs according to the amount of food recieved. More food means more eggs! Speaking of food, my 30 gallon was full of algae and in a matter of weeks they ate almost all of it and are now running out. Has anyone tried feeding them anything else? I might try algae wafers but since they are so slow I wonder if they will they even find them... :undecided
Oh, i noticed that the males seem to be smaller than the females so if you want fertilized eggs be sure to get some smaller individuals as well just in case!
Good luck!!

Good luck with your breding project! :) I will try to do that myself in June after my Asian trip. Please do keep us posted on any new developments.

Even these snails are slow they do get around so if they will eat algae disc then they will find it. So far I have not witness any of my snails nibbling on the algae disc I put in my tanks. Another thing you can try is to put some boiled spinach or cucumber into the tank.

How much light are you putting on the tank? Put some phosphate based fertilizer might help the algae along.

rain-
4th Jun 2005, 01:20 AM
The best information I've found about breeding zebra nerites (there's a person who says that he has managed to breed them) is from applesnail.net forum, but it seems like I can't post a link yet. The topic is "Zebra Nerites".

Basically he doesn't say if he uses fresh or brackish water, but I would go with the brackish. They go through a larval stage like brackish shrimps, so it isn't as easy as tending other snail eggs and young ones. People here most likely have spirulina flour or something else like that and I think it would be a good first food, but also green water, boiled egg yolk and such should be good too. And yes, they do have males and females.

Good luck with your attempt :)

vinyx
4th Aug 2005, 06:30 PM

Hi, I have 2 zebra snails for about 2 yrs. They lay their eggs everywhere - on the driftwood, stone, rock, internal deco, side of the tank, etc. However, these eggs never hatch. Now I think both must be female.

One day I decided to give my planted tank a make over and started cleaning the driftwood, stone, rock, internal deco, etc, I started swearing. The eggs are so difficult to get rid. I scrubbed & scrubbed & scrubbed and only managed to scrub of fthe shell leaving markings of the egg which I could not get rid off. Furthermore, you can find the eggs almost everywhere.

Anyway, all the best to your breeding program.