PDA

View Full Version : ADA soil

viper
26th Apr 2005, 09:15 PM
My 3ft tank has a pH of 5.0.. which is bad for shrimps. I'm using ADA soil as the substrate and it is a low maintenance tank. The ADA is about 1 year old so there's no worries about ammonia.

Any way to increase the pH to the desired level of about 6.5? I understand that 1 way is to add coral chips. But do I add and test until the result is obtained? Or must I change water after adding the coral chips.

Thanks

kross
26th Apr 2005, 09:52 PM
i put the coral chips and check the ph till i get the desired value...
changing water is a faster way but for me, i don't change my shrimp tank water... :D

viper
26th Apr 2005, 09:58 PM
hi kross, are you using ADA as well?

How big is your tank and how many pieces of coral chips did you eventually put in?

kross
26th Apr 2005, 10:16 PM
hi kross, are you using ADA as well?

How big is your tank and how many pieces of coral chips did you eventually put in?

nope, not using ada for my 2ft shrimp tank....but its ph was 5 at one time till i raise it up to 6~6.5 with coral chips. i just put 4 pieces of them with each roughly the size of a quail egg. :D

i do have a 2ft ada moss tank though.... ph is 5.... didn't buffer it coz i'm keeping my empire gudgeons in it... :)

silane
26th Apr 2005, 10:28 PM
If your tank is new, I suggest to do a few large water change to get rid of the acidic and use coral chip like Kross suggested or use CaCO3 tablet.

When use coral chip, the portion of it varies according to the size of the tank and how much and how old your ADAsoil is, for 3 feet, my estimation is at least 1 cup. You have to monitor the PH regularly. For faster result, use CaCO3 tablet.

viper
26th Apr 2005, 11:43 PM
The ADA is approximately a year old. I've added about 2 cups of coral chips and did some water change already. Hopefully the pH will increase when I do the next test.

In the meantime, please feel free to share your experience on how you've curb this problem. Thanks

viper
28th Apr 2005, 06:43 PM
I've just done a test on the water parameters and this is how it went:
pH: 6.5
KH: 3
GH: 5

Is it ok? I've introduced some cheries into the tank and they turned very red. But on certain occassions, as I went to take a peek, 1 - 2 of them will be shooting around in the tank, as if in shock. I've not put moss in except for a few driftwoods with nanas and java ferns attached to them. Any cause for concern?

Thanks

izzat
28th Apr 2005, 06:53 PM
Hi Viper ;)

Now your CO2 level is great at 28ppm. Make sure it is not above 30ppm or else you can see your shrimps darting around the tank cause the CO2 level might be too high for them to handle.

Keep the coral chips there to buffer the pH level.
Try not to make any major changes to the water parameters to prevent fluctuation :D

viper
29th Apr 2005, 12:29 PM
Hi Izzat, thanks for your reply.

Does the pH, kH etc have anything to do with the CO2? I don't have any CO2 system in the tank. :D

I've tested the water again and the parameters seemed to have dropped. pH is now in the range of 6.0 & 6.5, while kH is 2. What's happening? :huh:

Do I need to add more chips?

izzat
29th Apr 2005, 03:44 PM
Hi Viper :D

We measure COČ level by using pH and KH readings. This is a better choice as compared to using a COČ test kit which is not that accurate as compared to the measurements by pH and KH reading :p

When you measured your water parameters, did you change the water before measuring or all variables are still the same? If you had changed water before you measure you water parameters, that could probably be the reason as to why you pH and KH might have dropped.

Hmmm, try to maintain the pH around 6.3-6.5 if possible and KH value from 2-3. Do not add any more coral chips and test the water parameters regularly before and after water change ;)

shalu
14th May 2005, 03:35 AM
When his ph=5.0 without active Co2 addition, obviously the low ph is NOT due to excessive CO2. There is something else in the tank/substrate that causes that, invalidating ph/kh/co2 relationship, or his KH could be almost 0.