PDA

View Full Version : Undesirable creatures in Shrimp tank

colourtv
26th Apr 2005, 04:16 PM
Hi,

I need your advice on the above subject. My CRS tank have these creatures swimming around. They are like tiny "fleas" or whatever they are called. There are many tiny leeches on the glass. Are they harmful in any ways to my precious shrimps?

How do I get rid of them? I have no fishes in my shrimp tank. They are a real eye sore! Help!! >(

Colourtv

simcb
26th Apr 2005, 04:42 PM
Hi,

I need your advice on the above subject. My CRS tank have these creatures swimming around. They are like tiny "fleas" or whatever they are called. There are many tiny leeches on the glass. Are they harmful in any ways to my precious shrimps?

How do I get rid of them? I have no fishes in my shrimp tank. They are a real eye sore! Help!! >(

Colourtv

I have seen fleas, daphina, rotifers, cyclops, nematodes(<-- small fishes eats them try doing a search on shrimp friendly fishes) as for planarias and hyrda(so far no luck). Honestly i never seen leeches in my tanks, i guess they might be planaria....leeches are not so common. Got any pictures to show?

colourtv
26th Apr 2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks! I will try to take photos. My DC marco mode is not that fantastic. SO might have problem. :p But will still try!

Colourtv

Walter
26th Apr 2005, 05:43 PM
It have been discussed before. Very common in shrimp tanks. Most probably daphnia or cyclops :). You can try searching for the last thread this was discussed.

kross
26th Apr 2005, 10:33 PM
I put one licorice gouramis or scarlet badis to clear,then i take it out.
But you must make sure you got no shrimplet or you might lose a couple.

silane
26th Apr 2005, 10:35 PM
I put one licorice gouramis or scarlet badis to clear,then i take it out.
But you must make sure you got no shrimplet or you might lose a couple.

Did you have problem to scoop scarlet badis out? It appears to be fast swimmer to me.

kross
26th Apr 2005, 10:40 PM
Did you have problem to scoop scarlet badis out? It appears to be fast swimmer to me.

No problem at all. It's all about tactics. :D

viper
26th Apr 2005, 11:39 PM
I believe those leeches you are talking about are planarias. They're white in colour right? They appear because of overfeeding. Try starving the inhabitants for a couple of days and see if there's any improvement.

retardo
27th Apr 2005, 03:40 AM
it sounds to me like you have ostracods. are they round in shape and buzz around like little flies, and spend most of their time at the bottom of the tank? if that is a good description, you have ostracods. they are shrimp-safe, but terribly hard to get rid of. even fish have a hard time eating them cuz their outer shell is harder than most other things.

not sure about the leeches... could be anything w/o a better description.

colourtv
27th Apr 2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks for your descriptions. Now I am quite sure am dealing with planarias (not leeches) and ostracods (not fleas). Till now, I have not tried to remove them because they are simply too many. Yes I admit I might have overfeed my CRS too much. Maybe too eager to get them preggy again! :rolleyes: I shall curb feeding for a while.

Thanks!
Colourtv

Walter
27th Apr 2005, 01:38 PM
yup, I guess you should not feed as much as before. water fouls up quickly as well. :)

SugarLEVI
1st May 2005, 12:15 AM
it sounds to me like you have ostracods. are they round in shape and buzz around like little flies, and spend most of their time at the bottom of the tank? if that is a good description, you have ostracods. they are shrimp-safe, but terribly hard to get rid of. even fish have a hard time eating them cuz their outer shell is harder than most other things.

not sure about the leeches... could be anything w/o a better description.

yeah sure?
Because I've got these also in large amounts in my shrimptanks, and I've got loads of pregnant shrimps but no shrimplets to be seen anywhere. Of course it could be due other things, but my suspects are those ostracods.