PDA

View Full Version : New Cherry Red Shrimp dying, pH? Help please!

mommyeireanne
28th Sep 2007, 04:29 AM
I set up a 10 gallon planted tank with EcoComplete substrate, Marimo Moss (algae) Ball, Sagitaria, Pennywort, Anubias and HC. Now have the Taiwan Moss that shrimps arrived with. I made a sponge filter for a small powerhead, from polyester batting (from fabric store) and ladies' nylon pantyhose, and nylon tube and a zip-tie. I cycled the tank for 3 1/2 weeks with two separate Betas. I have small sandstones and 4 tiny terra cotta pots in for hiding places. I tested the sandstone, even though it should have been ok, and it didn't react to household vinegar. Didn't test clay pots. My tap water is very hard and very alkaline (7.8-8.0). I used 4 gallons of store bought spring water and one of reverse osmosis water when I first set up, 5 weeks ago. I've made weekly 15% water changes and ran a charcoal filter a few hours a day only during the first 8 days of set-up. I read a blog where ne hobbiest said nylon could be harmful to daphnia (a feeder crustacian) so now I must consider this, though many people have said to use 'pantyhose' over intakes to keep the babies from being sucked up. I have not had luck lowering pH chemically, in the past (I get temporary results and bacterial bloom) so I didn't try. I did a drip for more than two hours but the shrimp swam like mad when I put them in last night. (They were en route for 3 days, off color but not milky when I got them.) This morning 4 of 12 were dead. One more is milky, the rest are hiding. Several banged against the glass walls last night. I thought that may have been a factor. Are any of my plants toxic to shrimp? Is this simply pH? I did a 25% water change even though testing shows no nitrate or nitrite, and my ammonia 'alarm' is normal. Help! What is the problem?
PS Fish were fine in this tank, and I've had two newly hatched snails which must have been on my plants all this time. Temp is 76-78 deg F (24-25 C).

Halibass
28th Sep 2007, 08:46 AM
I can't help with what may be the problem, but the 7.8-8.0 pH isn't the problem. My RCS are doing well in that pH range. Did you dechlorinate? Has that tank seen any type of copper (in meds)?

mommyeireanne
28th Sep 2007, 12:28 PM
Thank you for that information. So I can rule that out. It was my biggest concern.
The only chemicals that I have ever added to this tank is dechlorinator and iodine. No medicines. I did add 1cc (for 10 gallons) of the liquid iodine supplement 2 days before I got the shrimp. This was suggested by another enthusiast, and is the recommended dose per the bottle. I figured I'd do it once a month instead of once a week as the bottle says. I generally age the water a few days as well. We have copper water pipes, but my habit is to run the water for a minute before I put it in the Fish water containers. I did a massive water change today and hope that will help (and not ruin my good cycling). I just know I'm missing something. But what? All advice appreciated.

Mc3528
1st Oct 2007, 10:05 AM
I dont have any problem with my cherry red setup. The new tank cannister ran for three hour only. I threw shrimp in le but did pour chlorine, bacterial grower and air pump flowing with high oxygen flow. They are eating well. Just my one cent, maybe you could check the temperature.

mommyeireanne
2nd Oct 2007, 04:21 AM
Well I lost them all. I tried very hard, but found a few variables. I did read that the processing chemicals (antibacterial and other things) on "farm" raised plants can stay on a while, even with washing and soaking. I've done several, almost total water changes. It was possible that my DIY filter was toxic (though it shouldn't have been), so I took that out, and bought the pricey one from the store (doesn't filter as well :undecided. ) After reading more about the effects of Marine intended liquid iodine, I've decided not to use that either. I do have some minor algae, and a Marimo Moss Ball, as well as a new dry leaf for shrimps to eat. I went to the LFS and got some ghosts or American Glass Shrimp, and will try with them for a while. So far, they are fine, even though I worry that all my fixing may have knocked out my good bacterial colonies. I have added tiny bit of water from healthy fish tank to help. I'll let this tank age a year and try again with the Cherries I really wanted. I like my ghost shrimp too. Thanks again, and I'll keep reading & learning.

Mc3528
2nd Oct 2007, 11:54 AM
Ya, you could slowly introduce the cherry in and you will know the result like putting two or three in at a time. Too bad you stay too far or i will have cherry for sale, as i have alot of them now. I want to put them up to make way for my crs.

dixienut
22nd Oct 2007, 10:47 AM
Well I lost them all. I tried very hard, but found a few variables. I did read that the processing chemicals (antibacterial and other things) on "farm" raised plants can stay on a while, even with washing and soaking. I've done several, almost total water changes. It was possible that my DIY filter was toxic (though it shouldn't have been), so I took that out, and bought the pricey one from the store (doesn't filter as well :undecided. ) After reading more about the effects of Marine intended liquid iodine, I've decided not to use that either. I do have some minor algae, and a Marimo Moss Ball, as well as a new dry leaf for shrimps to eat. I went to the LFS and got some ghosts or American Glass Shrimp, and will try with them for a while. So far, they are fine, even though I worry that all my fixing may have knocked out my good bacterial colonies. I have added tiny bit of water from healthy fish tank to help. I'll let this tank age a year and try again with the Cherries I really wanted. I like my ghost shrimp too. Thanks again, and I'll keep reading & learning.

hi i'm new here, where in ohio are you? i'm in pa, on ohio boarder could help you with cherries, cherrys like high ph, so not sure about yours where did you get them,? in states or overseas? maybe local bred will be better bet,

sumo82
25th Oct 2007, 06:54 AM
well honestly, I woulda used your tap water as is, without RO. I too have very hard water with the same ph as yours and have been more succussful with cherries in that condition than where they are now. They are at my sister's house and her water is pretty soft (kh 2-3) and neutral ph, and well, the females are pregnant, but haven't seen single shrimplet yet.