PDA

View Full Version : Dumb shrimp!.....ok...not so smart shrimp

gigahertz
26th Apr 2005, 12:49 PM
I was feeding my shrimp tonight and a piece of the pallet landed on the head of a tiger shrimp. Instead of grabbing it from his head to eat he just kept on digging in the gravel for more poop to eat :p

http://fdlam.com/dumb%20tiger%201.jpg

He wore that pellet on his head for at least 5 mins ( time enough for me to grab my camera ) before grabbing it and start his dinner.

http://fdlam.com/dumb%20tiger%202.jpg

Class 66
26th Apr 2005, 01:04 PM
Wow!! how you trained your tiger shrimp to do that trick ? :joking:
Cool Man !! :D

gigahertz
26th Apr 2005, 03:11 PM
Wow!! how you trained your tiger shrimp to do that trick ? :joking:
Cool Man !! :D

Well I use my hypnotic power to make the shrimp focus on me and ignored everything else. Quite easy actually. :joking:

amber2461
26th Apr 2005, 03:53 PM
lol I have only seen dogs doing that trick.

Robert
26th Apr 2005, 04:29 PM
lol I have only seen dogs doing that trick.

Hi Amber,
now you know that shrimps are at least as dumb as dogs :D .

I never saw such a thing in my tank but I noticed that shrimps do not care much on what is on their back or head. Sometimes you can see smaller shrimps "riding" on the back of older ones (no mating) and the older ones don't care much about their "passengers".

Best regards

Robert

simcb
26th Apr 2005, 04:37 PM
Hi Amber,
now you know that shrimps are at least as dumb as dogs :D .

I never saw such a thing in my tank but I noticed that shrimps do not care much on what is on their back or head. Sometimes you can see smaller shrimps "riding" on the back of older ones (no mating) and the older ones don't care much about their "passengers".

Best regards

Robert

Yea you are right. I have ever seen my Cherries or CRS take a free ride on my Yamato several times. They stay on the yamato's back(even though the yamato is walking around :D ) for at least 1 minute before taking off. Whenever i put my hand into the tank to catch worms, the cherries would come to tickle my hands, luckily not all of them. Some of the cherries are fearless or maybe they are just plain hungry. :undecided

Ljung
26th Apr 2005, 04:48 PM
and i think they cant really see what actually they are picking (eyes design on top - to keep an eye for any potential predator? :D )
sometimes they just pass by the food next to them while keep on picking whatever in front/underneath..... :joking:
however, they seems to know evertime when food is dropped into the tank...
from sense of smell? or abnormal water agitation? or sms from the first shrimp to find out food is available? :joking:

Walter
26th Apr 2005, 05:41 PM
lol interesting trick there! :D

It have pro balancing skills lol

gnatster
26th Apr 2005, 10:54 PM
sms from the first shrimp to find out food is available

These are highly evolved shrimp capable of not only creating sms systems for shrimp but also for miniaturizing a device capable of both broadcasting and receiving sms based messages while submerged.

I am duly impressed

crandf
27th Apr 2005, 02:37 AM
I've a different story, once I saw my woodshrimp hitching a ride on my zebra snail which happened to be grazing near my cannister outlet. Quite funny to watch my woodshrimp change orientation to catch the current as the snail moved about.

gigahertz
27th Apr 2005, 08:29 AM
Here's a photo of my trained Vampre Shrimps.

I trained these guys so that they will form a line on my command! :joking:

http://fdlam.com/vampire%20lineup.jpg

dwaffer
27th Apr 2005, 09:10 AM
:whip:
If they start saluting Id be very impressed! :joking:

Class 66
27th Apr 2005, 09:12 AM
Here's a photo of my trained Vampre Shrimps.

I trained these guys so that they will form a line on my command! :joking:

http://fdlam.com/vampire%20lineup.jpg

Look like they are having some mass orgy under the bushes...... :D

gigahertz
27th Apr 2005, 09:17 AM
Look like they are having some mass orgy under the bushes...... :D

I wish! I have had these guys for at least a year now and so far no babies....not even a female with eggs. >(

Walter
27th Apr 2005, 01:40 PM
cool.. Vampire shrimps... Never heard of it before hehe, any close up shots of these shrimps? Anyway nice trick lol. It seems that shrimps tricks are becoming a trend. lol :D

gigahertz
27th Apr 2005, 02:00 PM
Here's one of the bigger Vampire Shrimp hanging upside down on a plant bulb.

http://fdlam.com/vampire%20shrimp.jpg

Walter
27th Apr 2005, 08:24 PM
Wow! Beautiful shrimp, and great photography skill! :D

Anyone have any idea if these can be found in singapore lfs? They look like they got thick tough armour, and that light blue, very attractive. :D

Thanks for sharing gigahertz :)

silane
27th Apr 2005, 08:26 PM
Magnificant shrimp. :)

Robert
27th Apr 2005, 09:07 PM
Hi gigahertz,
your "Vampire shrimps" should belong to the species Atya gabonensis, which are West African filter shrimps. They belong to the low order kind of shrimps and their larvae need a marine/brackish water stage before they can survive in freshwater. Your shrimps seem to be still juveniles because the adult ones can reach a size of about 15cm (6inch) and develop a solid brown coloration. So the blue coloration is not stable.

best regards

Robert

gigahertz
27th Apr 2005, 09:57 PM
Wow! Beautiful shrimp, and great photography skill! :D

Anyone have any idea if these can be found in singapore lfs? They look like they got thick tough armour, and that light blue, very attractive. :D

Thanks for sharing gigahertz :)

Glad you liked it! :)

These guys don't just look like an armoured shrimp but they act like one too!

They are soooo clumsy that they get stuck in my heavily planted tank all the time. When they get stuck they will try to push their way out and if that doesn't work after a while they would get pissed off and start ramming their way thru whatever that's in their way. Kinda funny to watch :D

Magnificant shrimp. :)

Thanks! You want me to send you a few? I will trade them for some of your CRS! ;)

Hi gigahertz,
your "Vampire shrimps" should belong to the species Atya gabonensis, which are West African filter shrimps. They belong to the low order kind of shrimps and their larvae need a marine/brackish water stage before they can survive in freshwater. Your shrimps seem to be still juveniles because the adult ones can reach a size of about 15cm (6inch) and develop a solid brown coloration. So the blue coloration is not stable.

best regards

Robert

6"!!! And I thought they were already too big for my tank! : :shocked:

Thanks for the info on this species! :)

amber2461
28th Apr 2005, 12:32 AM
Wow

Very nice indeed, and they seem to be very happy in your tank too, for them to line up to get your attention. lol

I have 2 and they fight most of the time, the alpha male picking on the other male. I am looking into getting a female (whenever they will bring in more of them here).

Again, nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

silane
28th Apr 2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks! You want me to send you a few? I will trade them for some of your CRS! ;)

haha, no no, they are too big for my small tank. :D I will admire them from your pictures.

Walter
28th Apr 2005, 07:33 PM
Wow so large! Now the more i want to keep one of these! :D Anyway as they can grow so huge, do they still feed mainly on algae?

So will they hunt down other shrimps if they are significantly larger already? :shocked:

Man, didn't seen one in singapore before though.. Are they called cameroon armoured shrimp as well?

gigahertz
28th Apr 2005, 11:28 PM
They are scavengers. Usually they jus sit around with their 'fans' open catching whatever that is floating around but when I put in the algar wafers they would 'hover' over the tablet fanning the tablet and eating it that way.

They are completely non-agressive towards others as far as eating them. They do seem to have a tamper so they would ram or wrestle other vampire shrimp.

Walter
29th Apr 2005, 07:41 PM
Oh another new thing learned! :D Didn't realize they eat the same way as a wood shrimp. :D Interesting man! I was wondering why are they called Filter Shrimps.. Now I know why! lol

Hmmm, would be good if singapore lfs stocks them, appeals to me alot! :D

Anyway I heard wood shrimps sometimes accidently filter off shrimplets and eat them by accident? How frequent would that happen? Anyone can comfirm?

gigahertz
30th Apr 2005, 01:00 AM
Oh another new thing learned! :D Didn't realize they eat the same way as a wood shrimp. :D Interesting man! I was wondering why are they called Filter Shrimps.. Now I know why! lol

Hmmm, would be good if singapore lfs stocks them, appeals to me alot! :D

Anyway I heard wood shrimps sometimes accidently filter off shrimplets and eat them by accident? How frequent would that happen? Anyone can comfirm?

I have never witnessed any of my baby shrimps being eaten by the Vampire shrimps. I have a total of 10 Vampire shrimps in a 60G tank. In the same tank I have algae shrimps ( unknown species ) that is breeding like rabbits so I don't think that in my tank they are eating up enough of bagby shrimps if any for me to notice the drop in the number of baby shrimps.

Walter
30th Apr 2005, 05:34 PM
Oh I see, so it is not too much of a worry. Thanks for your info. :D