PDA

View Full Version : About Canister filter

I shrimp
5th Sep 2007, 12:28 PM
Hi all, after using canister filter for for my CRS tank, wondering when should i clean up the filter? Dont wish to mess up the water parmeter.:D So would like to know when should i water it? After 6 months or a year?:huh:

dom
6th Sep 2007, 08:36 AM
Recommend to clean it every month by using the same old tank water.

I shrimp
6th Sep 2007, 01:39 PM
Hi, Dont dont really get you. Is it like i wash with the old tank water or use the water in the filter?

KnaveTO
6th Sep 2007, 01:48 PM
You should rinse out the sponges in the filter in water from a water change on your tank once a month. As well replace 1/2 of the sponge every 6 months or so. As for the otehr media again rinsing in water from a water change once a month is good.

retardo
7th Sep 2007, 03:44 PM
Hi, Dont dont really get you. Is it like i wash with the old tank water or use the water in the filter?

Use the old tank water to rinse out the media (water you have just moved out of your tank into a bucket). That way, you don't kill too much of the beneficial bacteria from the media itself and you won't have to start your filter from scratch.

I shrimp
7th Sep 2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys, I got it. Seriously, I have yet clean the filter ever since then. I will do so right away. Beside, if i dont wash the filter, will it somehow effect my shrimps? I have shrimplets coming on the way. So will like to give them a good home.

Madmax
19th Sep 2007, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys, I got it. Seriously, I have yet clean the filter ever since then. I will do so right away. Beside, if i dont wash the filter, will it somehow effect my shrimps? I have shrimplets coming on the way. So will like to give them a good home.

I advise a regular but not so often maintenance (eg. 3 - 6 months) as it should be good enough. Do use the existing water from the tank to rinse biological media to avoid killing the beneficial bacteria. If the beneficial bacteria is not killed off, I don't think your shrimps will be affected.

I shrimp
19th Sep 2007, 12:06 PM
Hi Madmax, I really learn alot here. Thanks. What u have taught me is something i had been doing ever since i started keeping CRS. So now i m sure that i had manage it right. So how long have u been into this hobby?

Madmax
19th Sep 2007, 12:32 PM
Hi Madmax, I really learn alot here. Thanks. What u have taught me is something i had been doing ever since i started keeping CRS. So now i m sure that i had manage it right. So how long have u been into this hobby?

I am new to keeping CRS too, but have been keeping arowana for 5 years. My arowana tank is maintained using 2 canister filters. So, I have past experience with them. Also, I advocate the use of good media such as biohome or biohome plus. Think of it as a investment. They work wonders in housing beneficial bacteria.

Before we OT too much, good luck to you.

I shrimp
19th Sep 2007, 01:03 PM
Hi there, ok. Infact i kept arowana during teenage. Didnt really have such thing like canister filter then. Kept it for around 8 years. One gold and the other red. Was very ex then. Dont really like big fish that eat small fishes. Have been into Fishes and Shrimps for many years. Started off with normal shrimps like cherry then into CRS recently. Its so far the only pet that i find it not easy to manage. Need alot of time and work to get it right. We can exchange idea from here next time. Cos i m still learning more about CRS.
Take care and best wishes to u.

Frank
20th Sep 2007, 02:55 AM
I clean my canisters when the outflow is less than a half.
I use Eheim 2028 in my big tanks. There is no need to clean them so often.
In my fish tank I do cleaning every 2-3 months. I do that for years and got no problems at all.
It all depends on the bioload the filter has to handle.

I shrimp
20th Sep 2007, 12:10 PM
Hi Frank, I personally find abit confuse about the filter issue. There are too much different way off maintaining filter from each and everyone. Sometime really dont know what is the best way. Like u said, it all depends on the bioload the filter has to handle. But then again, how do we know when is the right time to clean it? I guess its more to feeding and the way the shrimps react. Cause when the water is not right, the shrimp will not feed well and even the plants in the tank grow slow. I might not be right, but is how far i observe from my tank. Thanks for sharing.