PDA

View Full Version : Mini Pellia with BBA

Plastron
30th Jul 2007, 02:21 PM
Hi all,

I've finally figured out why my mini pellia is not growing as healthy as it should. It has BBA... :cry: So far, all I can do is to remove the really infested leaves/branches/stems(whatever you call those :huh:). Is there anything else I can do to minimize the damage? The tips of the mini pellia are light green so I know it's still trying to grow. I have a small SAE but it doesn't seem interested in eating the BBA. My mini pellia is just recovering after a dose of JBL Algol to rid my tank of hair algae, which by the way works great but kinda weakens all plants.

Appreciate your help~! Thanks~!

REN
30th Jul 2007, 10:21 PM
BBA are u refering to black brush algae?? If it is AZOO has a BBA killer..it works very well if your tank is not badly "infested". Save for shrimps.

Cheers!!

Plastron
31st Jul 2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info. Actually, I know about this product but I haven't found it yet and also I don't know what are the side effects on plants and shrimps. My JBL Algol davastated much of my mini pellia already, how are the side effects for the AZOO product?

yoink
31st Jul 2007, 01:53 PM
I've killed BBA by direct dosing seachem's excel directly on the affected area with no harm to plants, fish, or shrimp. I have only used the single dose of 1ml per 10 gallons daily with shrimp. I use a baby medicine syringe to measure and dose. Turn the filters off 5 minutes before hand and leave them off for 10 more minute to maximize its effect.

Plastron
31st Jul 2007, 03:09 PM
I just did some reading up on Flourish Excel. It's like some sort of wonder chemical...boost CO2 + kills algae. Really cool...might try it IF I can find it...Thanks~!

By the way, can I totally not rely on CO2 once I have Flourish Excel since it does not alter the pH and the plants I have do not have high CO2 requirements?

REN
31st Jul 2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the info. Actually, I know about this product but I haven't found it yet and also I don't know what are the side effects on plants and shrimps. My JBL Algol davastated much of my mini pellia already, how are the side effects for the AZOO product?

I have not observe any side effects for that product..it states that it is harmful to shrimps but i didn't notice any of my cherries both adult or baby dead.My plants and mosses still grew very well.

One thing to note though after elimination of the BHB youu have to continue adding it in smaller amounts to maintain..if not it will come back.

retardo
1st Aug 2007, 09:38 AM
I just did some reading up on Flourish Excel. It's like some sort of wonder chemical...boost CO2 + kills algae. Really cool...might try it IF I can find it...Thanks~!

By the way, can I totally not rely on CO2 once I have Flourish Excel since it does not alter the pH and the plants I have do not have high CO2 requirements?

Excel does not boost CO2. It's a source of carbon.

Excel works best in smaller/nano/slow growth tanks, but for larger tanks, pressurized or DIY CO2 is best.

retardo
2nd Aug 2007, 01:54 AM
I've killed BBA by direct dosing seachem's excel directly on the affected area with no harm to plants, fish, or shrimp. I have only used the single dose of 1ml per 10 gallons daily with shrimp. I use a baby medicine syringe to measure and dose. Turn the filters off 5 minutes before hand and leave them off for 10 more minute to maximize its effect.

Excel will do some harm to the more delicate plants. You may experience a die-off of some plants (I've seen it with mini pellia)... they will brown and turn to mush, but as long as you have enough of it, it will survive and return. Also, it may take several applications to kill off the algae.

oblongshrimp
3rd Aug 2007, 12:59 PM
vals are also sensitive to Excel.....I had all mine melt when i overdosed with Excel

yoink
4th Aug 2007, 09:45 AM
vals are also sensitive to Excel.....I had all mine melt when i overdosed with Excel
Anacharis and riccia can die with too much as well.

dom
24th Aug 2007, 12:41 PM
Using Seachem Excel or any algae removal will just temperary solve your BBA problem. You need a permanent solution. First, wash your filter at least once a month. Second, don't over feed. Third, cleaning up all the melting or drying plants inside your tank.

CO2 injection and bring down the PH will help to control the algae grow. Personally I am managed to use Seachem Excel + Brighty K and increase of CO2 to solve my hair algae and BBA.

Slightly overdose the Excel will not kill your shrimp. I had tested on my CRS tank.