PDA

View Full Version : TDS for CRS tank?

Halibass
8th Jul 2007, 05:13 AM
Hi everyone. I just got a TDS meter; is there a recommended TDS range for a CRS tank? I guess a better question is if there is a high limit for the TDS? Thanks.

jjkolodz
12th Jul 2007, 05:07 AM
I read somewhere that the TDS reading should be between 150-220 ppm. But I think measuring GH and KH is more important.

Moses703
12th Jul 2007, 10:19 AM
TDS doesn't really matter if it's not too much~ like more than 300

TDS meter mesures how much particles dissolved in the water,

if it's just calcium and magnisium it's no problem,

but if it's something more than that such as heavy metal, then it

could be a problem. But you wouldn't find out heavy metal's existance

with TDS meter, so my point is that TDS value is insignificant.

firstblue
29th Oct 2011, 09:56 AM
I disagree, a TDS lower than say 75-100 I have seen decrease shrimplet survival, especially in higher Grade CRS.

Summit MicroFarm
29th Oct 2011, 11:30 AM
I disagree as I have numerous shrimplets and my TDS is 35 in one of my SSS CRS tanks. Aside from the shell color suffering, I have seen no negatives. My shrimp molt well and I never see any death during molting.

:alien:

soonhong
4th Nov 2011, 08:27 PM
All my tanks Tds ..around 80-110 .. I don't see anything bad ..

Kazuya
4th Nov 2011, 09:37 PM
Summit: What's your GH? I guess your using RO water and adding no minerals to get a TDS of 35.

My TDS is at 210 but my GH is 4 and KH 0. I mostly go by what my GH and KH test show.
If I see GH go up a bit I'll do a water change.

Summit MicroFarm
5th Nov 2011, 01:15 AM
Kazuya,
Yes, you are absolutely correct. I was addind no minerals and using RO/DI water. I was adding 1/2-1gallon of tap to add minerals but here is the situation I ran into. I moved 1 year ago from a house that had well water. Liquid rock really. Then I moved a year ago to a house on city water which was much softer and more acidic. I used the same water change regime and everything was fine. Then I started keeping some tai bees and had a sudden die off thing that alot of people talk about. I went and tested GH, KH and TDS in most tanks but this was what one tank was and all were very close:
0 KH, 0 GH and 17 TDS.
I realized I had better start adding minerals so I went and bought some Sea Chem Equilibrium and have since brought up my CRS/CBS and tai bee tanks to 60 TDS using the Sea Chem Equilibrium. I have not yet tested GH or KH. My CRS and CBS color was good before but they have definitely "richened" up. Lesson learned on being a lil lazy, but I was under the impression "if it ain't broke don't fix it" until my tai bees started dying. Oh well...live and learn... :smile:

:alien:

Mirobilly
7th Nov 2011, 07:46 AM
I use TDS 100 on my tank!

mave03
4th May 2012, 01:48 PM
All my tanks Tds ..around 80-110 .. I don't see anything bad ..

I realise by adding seachem supplement Mosura product will also increase TDS ya?